How is this build?

thefox14

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
CPU: Looks good to me

RAM: Looks pretty good, but you might want to go with these LINK!!!

MOBO: Good pick, this ones the same but from newegg it's cheaper LINK!!!

GPU: Nice choice, no edits here

PSU: ok, 850W is way overkill here, 700W should be enough. Go with this one: LINK!!!

Case/Chassis: Case looks pretty good, might want to get it from newegg. Big savings. LINK!!!

DVD: Good

HDD: Good, may i suggest getting 2 and putting them in raid?

Heat Sink: It's alright, i'd highly suggest this one though: LINK!!!

richy123xd

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
The Motherboard from newegg is the basic evga 790i and it cost even more.
The PSU you showed me only has 2 pcie cables, not enough for a sli/crossfire rig.
The Zalman 9500 is a very good heat sink, but it is too loud for my taste.
The case you showed me, is the standard packaged version of the Thermaltake Spedo, which does not come with the features the advanced pack has.
I have used GSkill ram before, and it is very good, but for this build I want my ram to have heat sinks on them so I could overclock them a lot more.

thefox14

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
PSU: Sorry about that, This PSU has 4 pcie cables, should suit you nicely. LINK!!!

RAM: You are not going to notice any difference by overclocking ram over ~800Mhz. You're going to hit a wall because the memory controller thats being tied to the FSB has a ceiling. Check out this recent article.

Btw, for the money it looks like you're going to be spending on this rig, why no use the core i7? it's faster, takes more advantage of DDR3 (triple channel), and it's a lot more future proof

@ what resolution are you planning to play ???
Though you will not be ablt to SLI now but you would have the best platform, which is far better than the one you have chosen currently...
For now go with a single card and maybe in few months time, you can always add one more card...It is far better than having that old LGA 775 platform...

richy123xd

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
i7 exceeds Lga 775 CPUs in many things, but I doubt it would be worth the extra money if it's just used for gaming. I don't need the best hardware because PC gaming isn't the only thing I do.

^ But I would say that the extra money that you are putting on that LGA 775 is also totally not worth it at all...

Dont waste money on 2x GTX 275...Go with the cheaper GTX260 or even the GTS250 because the Q9300 would have tough time keeping up with that much power and 2 of the GTX260/ GTS 250 is more than enough for pushing a 1920X1200 resolution monitor @ max settings...
And it is better to skimp on the mobo as like I said investing in such a costly mobo, which has a dead socket is not worth it IMHO...

If I were you I would skip SLI on the LGA 775 because those mobos have issues are are generally avoided...You can build a powerful crossfire setup for very less and the LGA 775 mobos support crossfire very well...

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P - $135 (Is one of the best LGA 775 mobos )
4GB RAM GSkillz PI Black - $55
2x HD 4870 1GB - $300
WD Black 640GB - $75
Corsair 750TX - $120
CASE your preferrance - $200
DVD - $31
CPU Cooelr - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - $40
Best intel heatsinks -
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm