Question How is this Seasonic PSU quality wise?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Seasonic is a reputable brand, but I can't seem to find any useful reviews for it.

If you are running a relatively light system it will probably be fine. But if you are going for round the clock gaming, you should probably go up a size. Seasonics 520W bronze supply is usually around $40-50.

mazinyo

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
What system components do you have? Particularly CPU & GPU.

In increasing order of quality: (I may miss a couple)
VS
CX/CX-M
CS - retired
TX
RM
HX
AX

The CX450 costs $20 after MIR. Go with that if you're on a tight budget.

Otherwise, the Seasonic Focus+ 550W is only $50 and is considerably better than the Corsair CX line.

Wait..So the VS is the least quality PSU here? Or did I get it wrong? because it has really good reviews online so it cant be that bad

They may be better than a no-name PSU (at least they can provide ~90% of their rated power on the [single] 12V rail, which is better than the garbage heap), but the VS series are not "good". If you're familiar with the 80 Plus Efficiency system. They don't even meet 80+ bronze, which like I said, the $20 CX450 can do.... 80+ Bronze is a pretty low bar these days.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If you're familiar with the 80 Plus Efficiency system. They don't even meet 80+ bronze, which like I said, the $20 CX450 can do.... 80+ Bronze is a pretty low bar these days.
Efficiency isn't a measure of quality though. Based on the review I found of the VS450 (older, orange unit), it actually a pretty decent unit in terms of performance and build quality. It's main downside is lower quality caps, which mean longevity could be an issue.

Yes, but it's certainly an indirect (rough) measure of quality. You need better quality components to achieve a higher efficiency. Plain and simple. Of course, that doesn't mean that there's corners that can/will be cut to reduce costs.
As component quality increases, so does the BoM. Efficiency is a widely understood term that can be used to sell a PSU for more money. If you're spending/charging MORE money on higher quality components, but can't at least beat your competition (or your own product lines) on the most well recognized feature, then you'd better hope your name sells.

Us hardware nerds may enjoy reading PSU reviews to know and understand exactly what's inside each PSU and what makes one better than the other aside from efficiency, but we're a minority in the market. I researched at least 6 different PSUs (after narrowing the field with my general knowledge) and chose the EVGA G2 [Super Flower] platform a few years ago instead of the Seasonic stalwart (at the time) for well-informed reasons, but most people don't care to dig that deep. Price and efficiency are the two main considerations of most buyers. Name recognition will only get you so far.

I've read the Corsair CX reviews a number of times and feel that it's an acceptable level of quality for the insanely low price tag. Are there other PSUs in that same market that are marginally better? Probably. But the market is TIGHT. Someone can buy a CX550 for around $30, or jump to a Seasonic Focus+ 550W for $50...$50!!! Good luck wedging yourself into that narrow price range and canyon of performance gap. (different considerations for non-US market pricing of course, but still)

Last edited:

mazinyo

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009

Please take a look at my build and tell me if 450 is enough and wont be borderline

CPUAMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor Box (Gen 2)1
MotherboardsGigabyte B450M DS3H1
RAM MemoryDDR 4 16G (8GX2) 3000 CL16 1.35V Vulcan Yellow Team1
CasesAntec P7 Silent Super Mid Tower1
Power SuppliesCorsair CX450M 450W PSU 80+ Bronze Modular1
Solid State Drives (SSD)Intel® SSD 660p 512GB M.2 PCIe 80mm1
Video CardsPalit RTX 2060 Dual 6G GDDR6 192bit

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
450 is technically enough, if it's a decent psu. The 2060 has the same power draw as a 1060, and a 95w cpu is chump change average.

That whole pc will pull @300-350w depending on levels of oc/boost from factory, but you do not really want to include any user OC on top of that.

That Seasonic 400 is a great psu, for an OEM bulk psu, it's only real rival is built by Delta. But it's not designed for the instant, heavy draws a gaming gpu can and does slap it with. It's like trying to make a work horse into a race horse, not gonna last for long.

At @ 250-300w average gaming draw, your best area is a good 450w to 550w psu. This puts thermals, efficiency, power consumption right at the 50% range, which is where psus work best. The 450w psu can live easily at closer to 75% draws.

You'll spend @ $50 for a decent 450w or @ $50 for a decent 550w, really a no brainer.

I agree with Karad. 450W would be enough. I'd say your system power draw around 300W with no OC. That CX450M I linked is decent quality and looks to be well priced. A decent 550W would make everyone more comfortable though if you can make it work with your budget.