Question How is this working? (M2.NVMe with 4xSATA)

JackrumMadthing

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I have an MSI PRO B660M-E motherboard with a Core I5-12400F stuffed into it. This model only has one M2 slot.

The Motherboard Manual (PDF) as well as all other knowledge bases state quite clearly that when using an M2.NVMe SSD you will lose the functionality of one of your SATA ports.

I have a Western Digital SN570 M2.2280 plugged into this board, and while the manual states I will lose my SATA slot 7, I actually have all 4 SATA's functioning perfectly fine.

M2 Slot - WD SN570
SATA 5 - WD 500gb SSD
SATA 6 - WD 240gb SSD
SATA 7 - WD 2tb Mechanical
SATA 8 - Seagate 1tb Mechanical

I have done a speed test and transfer rate benchmark on all the drives, and they are within expected limits.

My questions are:
  1. How???
  2. Am I losing some performance here, or potentially in for a shock with data loss

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have an MSI PRO B660M-E motherboard with a Core I5-12400F stuffed into it. This model only has one M2 slot.

The Motherboard Manual (PDF) as well as all other knowledge bases state quite clearly that when using an M2.NVMe SSD you will lose the functionality of one of your SATA ports.

I have a Western Digital SN570 M2.2280 plugged into this board, and while the manual states I will lose my SATA slot 7, I actually have all 4 SATA's functioning perfectly fine.

M2 Slot - WD SN570
SATA 5 - WD 500gb SSD
SATA 6 - WD 240gb SSD
SATA 7 - WD 2tb Mechanical
SATA 8 - Seagate 1tb Mechanical

I have done a speed test and transfer rate benchmark on all the drives, and they are within expected limits.

My questions are:
  1. How???
  2. Am I losing some performance here, or potentially in for a shock with data loss
Your using a NVME drive not a SATA M.2

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yeah, you mis-read the MANUAL, maybe pre-expecting trouble because of other stuff you read. SOME SATA-type SSD's come on an M.2 style board and mount into that type of mobo socket. But MANY (including yours) are the NVME type that do NOT require use of a SATA port and Controller to work, even though they mount into that same mobo socket. So that type does NOT consume one SATA port.

Reactions: JackrumMadthing