Discussion How is Windows 10 v.1903?

Lutfij

Titan
The issue with being an early adopter is having to deal with all the issues like a guinea pig(with testing). I'd ask you to wait and see what the OS'es updates have brought per reviews and feedback from the www.

Reactions: Endre
I have an old Dell 660 upgraded from Win 7 to 10. Just upgraded to 1903. The only glitch was a "What needs you attention" error, that turned out to be I had a USB plugged in. There are some minor graphic tweaks, the Downloads directory is now divided into sections Yesterday, Last Week, Earlier this month and last Month, Earlier this year and, A long time ago. I had an issue with my old HP printer driver, for some reason Printers and Devices configured my HP printer using wifi so it printed much faster and more stable than the HP software (the HP installer labeled the printer as "Network" where P&D did not). Anyway that changed with 1809 (only the HP Installer worked), but with 1903 P&D can install the faster and more stable printer setup again. I'll advise more more if anything comes up. SFSG

Colif

Win 11 Master
so the inability to install it with USB devices plugged in, is still a thing? That is going to be fun with people less than 32gb of free space then, gl installing it. Microsoft breaks a feature they only just implemented in previous version.

Downloads the update himself. Its taken its time, every day this week has been a new Cumulative Update

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
The issue with being an early adopter is having to deal with all the issues like a guinea pig(with testing). I'd ask you to wait and see what the OS'es updates have brought per reviews and feedback from the www.

In theory, Insiders is meant to be the guinea pigs, not just a way to get newer versions faster. RTM versions meant to have been tested by the insiders for the last few months. I know its not that simple but that is how its meant to be. LIke all beta tests.

I haven't noticed any differences, apart from not having to use cortana at all now - if all you used it for was search. I prefer dark themes so the new light one hasn't even been looked at. First change I noticed was the login screen blurs the picture now. Its early days, undoubtedly something is broken

Colif

Win 11 Master
Here is a change you only get on a clean install of 1903

Reserved storage sets aside disk space to be used by updates, apps, temporary files, and system caches. It improves the day-to-day function of your PC by ensuring critical OS functions always have access to disk space. Reserved storage will be enabled automatically on new PCs with Windows 10, version 1903 pre-installed, and for clean installs. It will not be enabled when updating from a previous version of Windows 10.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...t/Windows-10-and-reserved-storage/ba-p/428327

New installs unlikely to notice the difference since they should have plenty of free space anyway and the space only used for updating windows, so new installs generally don't need many updates unless they towards end of a 6 month cycle.

I was wondering where it was as I saw articles saying you have Reserved storage but I couldn't find the menus they were showing

Windows 10 Pro & Enterprise/Edu get a Virtual Machine built into windows - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Kernel-Internals/Windows-Sandbox/ba-p/301849

Updates to defender - handy if you use it

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/whats-new-windows-10-version-1903

USAFRet

Titan
so the inability to install it with USB devices plugged in, is still a thing? That is going to be fun with people less than 32gb of free space then, gl installing it. Microsoft breaks a feature they only just implemented in previous version.

Downloads the update himself. Its taken its time, every day this week has been a new Cumulative Update
This should be fun with my 2 Asus Transformers.
One with a 32GB drive, the other with a 64GB.

Both have a microSD card permanently in the slot.

I think, have not tested it, if running it from a USB it will installs. Its if you have other USB drives in during install it will require you to take them out. Mainly because it could cause issues with drive lettering if the USB is pulled first and since some people have multiple HDDs or partitions Microsoft is trying to avoid breaking programs that are, in the registry, assigned to say D or E.

I understand why Microsoft is doing this. The issue in 1809 is something Microsoft highly recommended against doing, redirecting folders on the same drive, as it was known to have possible issues but people did it anyways. Now they are trying to avoid potential issues. I rather them do that than have a hail storm of pissed off people.

1809 was a good update but that one issue basically took it over completely.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The problem with not letting people use a spare USB as extra storage in the install process is it stops the people like USAFRet who have only 32gb of space to actually install the update. What 1809 did was let you use extra space.

There was never a problem installing from USB, the fix they put in place for 1809 allowed others to use a USB as extra space during the install process. So two USB, one with installer, one with blank space

drive letters is something they need to figure out then. I don't have an answer. But they put a process in place in 1809 and then removed it for 1903 and didn't explain why.

I have it installed on two Dell desktops, one with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, the other with Windows 10 Home 64 bit. I haven't seen any problems with either. I ran Windows Update on both yesterday, but got messages that it wasn't available, so I checked again at 11:30 EDT this morning and it still said not available. Then I went to the Microsoft update page and downloaded and installed it without problems. After that when I checked the other desktop around 12:45 it had automatically updated and rebooted with the May 2019 version.
My laptop is still running version 1809 (Home 64 bit), and I'm in no hurry to upgrade it because laptops seem to have more problems due to proprietary parts, and also because I use the laptop the most.

My laptop is still running version 1809 (Home 64 bit), and I'm in no hurry to upgrade it because laptops seem to have more problems due to proprietary parts, and also because I use the laptop the most.

I can agree with this. And most OEMs are very bad at making updated drivers. Some parts will work with older versions drivers but they should at least make new drivers.

Jennifer W

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
Microsoft released Windows 10 v1903. Did anyone try it? How is it?
AVOID!
It forced the update on me...
Not only did going from 1803 (Pro 64bit) to 1903 break my overclock (a microcode issue that affects broadwell-e cpu’s), but it also broke Microsoft Photos.
I rolled back to 1803, which fixed the issue of not being able to overclock, but Microsoft Photo is still screwed up. I used the powershell to uninstall and then reinstalled from the microsoft store, but it still doesn’t work (opening any image file just results in a black screen).
In the end I gave up, installed IrfanView, and set it to my default viewer.

All Microsoft does is break stuff with their updates.
I long for the days of Win 7, and Win XP.

BTW, I also used this guide to “hide” the 1903 update and prevent it from trying to install itself again:
Hide Windows Updates
(Used the above method to hide the KB4100347 update as well, as it also broke my ability to overclock)

Last edited:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I, personally, had no issues with this version.

Same here, but that alone is not a valid metric. But when you look at what has been in the tech press, ask anyone who does support for a living, and ask most Windows 10 users who've transitioned to 1903 the picture is clear: it's been one of the smoothest feature updates since Windows 10 came on the scene.

When I read testimony such as that offered by @Jennifer W I don't deny for a minute that those events occurred. But it also clearly indicates to me underlying instability in that Windows 10 installation that must be addressed. The best way to address it is to do a completely clean reinstall so that you know you have a stable base upon which future updates can be lain. You can't build a house on quicksand.

There seems to be a complete lack of understanding that when a tiny minority of the user base as a whole is having issues, and they always do, that this indicates an issue with their own machine, not Windows 10. [And the same is true regardless of the OS and update.] There comes a time when an update exposes underlying instability that was there for a very long time, but was not in an area that was being actively exploited. It can happen to any of us, and not due to anything we've done as an end user. That doesn't change the fact that it is "on our end" rather than Microsoft's in the vast majority of cases. Most Computer Issues Are Idiosyncratic - Not Global.

Jennifer W

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
Same here, but that alone is not a valid metric. But when you look at what has been in the tech press, ask anyone who does support for a living, and ask most Windows 10 users who've transitioned to 1903 the picture is clear: it's been one of the smoothest feature updates since Windows 10 came on the scene.

When I read testimony such as that offered by @Jennifer W I don't deny for a minute that those events occurred. But it also clearly indicates to me underlying instability in that Windows 10 installation that must be addressed. The best way to address it is to do a completely clean reinstall so that you know you have a stable base upon which future updates can be lain. You can't build a house on quicksand.

There seems to be a complete lack of understanding that when a tiny minority of the user base as a whole is having issues, and they always do, that this indicates an issue with their own machine, not Windows 10. [And the same is true regardless of the OS and update.] There comes a time when an update exposes underlying instability that was there for a very long time, but was not in an area that was being actively exploited. It can happen to any of us, and not due to anything we've done as an end user. That doesn't change the fact that it is "on our end" rather than Microsoft's in the vast majority of cases. Most Computer Issues Are Idiosyncratic - Not Global.
Well, I managed to fix Microsoft Photos, but still a no-go on the update. Again, the problem I’m having is related to Broadwell-E CPU’s only. Everything else should be fine as far as I’m aware.

Endre

Reputable
Well, I managed to fix Microsoft Photos, but still a no-go on the update. Again, the problem I’m having is related to Broadwell-E CPU’s only. Everything else should be fine as far as I’m aware.

Having problems with Broadwell-E CPUs it’s strange...
Please try installing v1903 clean (format partition C, etc.)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Almost time to start the sequel to this post... 1909, what is it like?

I can't answer that question as I haven't gone looking. I only recently realised 1909 is soon... time flies when you having fun.

Oct 26, 2019
I bet this gets scrubbed of the Microsoft websites!

My laptop has just updated to Windows 10 v.1903 of its own volition - disaster !!

My data files - disappeared.

Most of my apps and desktop shortcuts - disappeared.

My email accounts – disappeared.

Contacts - disappeared

My bookmarks - disappeared.

My settings - disappeared.

Photo’s - disappeared

Documents - disappeared

None of my stuff is there, but reloaded with MS tosh that they think I need. A complete disaster. It comparable to an inept burglar breaking into your business office and trashing the place and leaving the burglars well known calling card!

As regards the post that reckons it’s due to previous installation being unstable, who thought of that one? Mine was working before MS stuck it’s oar in with 1903.

I cannot figure out why Microsoft can change my computer, that belongs to me, with such a corrupt piece of software? Do they not test or do they rely on screwing their users computers to learn how not to do it?

The evidence is conclusive when searching the net that this update is completely useless and disruptive.

I'm completely stuffed. Thinking of dropping into Brussels HQ for them to fix it. Any mainstream media want to follow the story?

Is it possible to send Microsoft the bill for me giving this to a Microsoft engineer to fix?

Love to see them in court with a class action. Any one tried it?