Question How Likely is it for a New PSU to Fail? (and Temperature Question)

May 1, 2023
I have a Phanteks Revolt Pro PSU, which is Seasonic and therefore, as far as I know, a good quality brand. I'm not having issues at the moment but this is just a general knowledge question

this is my first 'higher quality' power supply and I've only had it for about 3 months; the GPU is a 3070 and the CPU is a 5800x, with a B550-F motherboard, and since the PSU is 1000w, it's more than capable of supporting these specs. it sits sort of isolated, at the bottom my case, which is a Phanteks Eclipse P360a

anyway, since there's no software that can read PSU temperatures or 100% accurate voltage, and my lack of a multimeter or thermometer, or anything, how likely is it for this type of Seasonic PSU to fail at relatively new condition? more specifically, what's their 'fail rate' if that's known

(also- what is the normal temp range for my PSU/power supplies in general. I don't have a way to check my temps, but what is the standard behavior of PSU temperatures idle, under load, etc.)

D

Deleted member 2838871

I've used EVGA PSUs for years... never had any issues. Typically the warranty period is long as well. My new build has a 1300W unit with a 10 year warranty.

No need to stress over a new PSU failing or the temps of your PSU. It's extremely unlikely that you will ever have a problem with it. They are built to last... longer than any other component in your PC.

May 1, 2023
I've used EVGA PSUs for years... never had any issues. Typically the warranty period is long as well. My new build has a 1300W unit with a 10 year warranty.

No need to stress over a new PSU failing or the temps of your PSU. It's extremely unlikely that you will ever have a problem with it. They are built to last... longer than any other component in your PC.
that's fair, I just like being able to have some kind of feel for how much heat my PC is giving off. I used to be able to walk behind my desk and hover my hand over the PSU vent but I've had to move it back against the wall so I can't really do that anymore. position of the PC also makes it hard to put my hand against the side of the case where the PSU is, and I don't have anywhere else to put it

most I can do is put my nose near the bottom of the case and smell the hot air, but that's not really much to go off, given that the PSU is probably just doing its job

Any product can fail at any time.
Most of the time, failure happens right away.

Your psu has a 12 year warranty; as good as it gets.
Many top quality power supplies will just loaf and never have to turn on the fans which are just for cooling.
Only under the highest of loads would I expect to hear a psu fan.

There is nothing to worry about.