Question How lilely am I to get a gaming computer this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagaCarter

BANNED
Jun 3, 2021
I'm waiting to hear back about special funding from the "community funding" (which means I'm the one buying it and the government might remburise me. Then we can look into finally getting me a gaming computer. Mom thinks that due to the fact there's a "Shortage of computer chips" there might be a problem in getting a gaming computer. I think that's is a load of baloney because of the fact we're not building one but getting a pre-build one. So how likely is it for me to get a pre-built gaming computer?

Last edited:
It's easy enough to look online and see for yourself there are prebuilts for sale, but we're also heading into the holidays, so expediency is a must. I also feel if mom is paying for it, most of it, or even part of it, you ought not treat her like a BSer. ;)

MagaCarter

BANNED
Jun 3, 2021
It's easy enough to look online and see for yourself there are prebuilts for sale, but we're also heading into the holidays, so expediency is a must. I also feel if mom is paying for it, most of it, or even part of it, you ought not treat her like a BSer.
I hate having to explain over and over again. But the SPECIAL community funding means I'm the only one paying for it and blasted Provincial government (I don't live in the states-and we already had our blasted Thanksgiving on MONDAY)-will be reimbursing me that is IF I'm approve if not, I'm using my own money anyway to buy the long-awaited *** blasted gaming computer I have waited since March for or was it May? So Mom has no part in it except for being my "Sectary" for it to certain people, So mom' has nothing to do with buying the computer like 0% of the finance business.

There are shortages and this is restricting which gpu’s are available, even in a pre built. This has also caused the gpu’s that are available to be way overpriced which will be factored into a prebuilt price. What actual availability will be like in the near future and actual prices is going to be country specific.

MagaCarter

BANNED
Jun 3, 2021
I hate to say it, but it's actually more sensible to buy a console lately if you're good with a gamepad. I've even seen launch prices of console games much lower now than that of PC games.
I don't want a console I want a COMPUTER. For one thing Sims 4 (and packs) on console 1)You can't use mods on and 2)you can't make stories with a Sims 4 on console while you can on a PC. and 3)My save is already on a computer. 4)I can't install bluestacks on a console it's for PC/Mac only

I don't want a console I want a COMPUTER. For one thing Sims 4 (and packs) on console 1)You can't use mods on and 2)you can't make stories with a Sims 4 on console while you can on a PC. and 3)My save is already on a computer. 4)I can't install bluestacks on a console it's for PC/Mac only
Well I hope you have a decent budget for a prebuilt PC then, or don't plan on playing a lot of games with demanding graphics (or are OK with mediocre graphics settings), because as someone else mentioned, the chip shortage is affecting prebuilt prices some too, AND availability.

So how big is your max spend budget for this, and how soon can you buy? The longer you wait, the worse availability could get. Meaning even if you already had Thanksgiving, or don't have much of a Christmas celebration where you live, Christmas is a big holiday season celebrated world over that manufacturers have to supply for. So you're basically competing with other countries for available stock.

Unless you at least tell us what country you're in though, we have no idea what prices and availability currently are in your area. Also, if it's entirely your money, I'm not sure why mom even factors in, just start looking for deals, time is of the essence.

MagaCarter

BANNED
Jun 3, 2021
@Frag Maniac

Well I hope you have a decent budget for a prebuilt PC then, or don't plan on playing a lot of games with demanding graphics (or are OK with mediocre graphics settings), because as someone else mentioned, the chip shortage is affecting prebuilt prices some too, AND availability.

So how big is your max spend budget for this, and how soon can you buy? The longer you wait, the worse availability could get. Meaning even if you already had Thanksgiving, or don't have much of a Christmas celebration where you live, Christmas is a big holiday season celebrated world over that manufacturers have to supply for. So you're basically competing with other countries for available stock.

Unless you at least tell us what country you're in though, we have no idea what prices and availability currently are in your area. Also, if it's entirely your money, I'm not sure why mom even factors in, just start looking for deals, time is of the essence.
I said my country had it's Thanksgiving this past Monday (2nd Monday in October unlike the Forth Thursday Nov) . Which means I live in Canada. And as I have said in a previous thread, I don't have any budget for this. The only reason we're still waiting is to hear from the "community funding" people because of the super special funding. Since pre-Covid times the community funding would NOT cover something like a "gaming computer" but it does under Covid. And since this past Monday was a holiday in my country I'm not expecting anyone to reply back until the upcoming Monday at least due to a "backlog of emails" about special funding expenses.

I said my country had it's Thanksgiving this past Monday (2nd Monday in October unlike the Forth Thursday Nov) . Which means I live in Canada. And as I have said in a previous thread, I don't have any budget for this. The only reason we're still waiting is to hear from the "community funding" people because of the super special funding. Since pre-Covid times the community funding would NOT cover something like a "gaming computer" but it does under Covid. And since this past Monday was a holiday in my country I'm not expecting anyone to reply back until the upcoming Monday at least due to a "backlog of emails" about special funding expenses.
Yeah, I'm well aware you said you'd already had Thanksgiving, and put that in my post. I also figured Provincial meant you were in CAN. Still have Xmas up there though. Thanksgiving really has nothing to do with this though. The only reason Black Friday, as it's called here, happens the day after Thanksgiving, is because that is considered the official start of the CHRISTMASS holiday season.

Sounds like this community funding is similar to the so called "Stimulus Payments" we got from our gov here in the US. Here they made it clear how much everyone would get. I guess up there they are basing it on your situation (which they mostly did here) but waiting until last minute to notify people. That can make it hard to beat the rush of holiday shoppers, especially this year, because they're warning everyone to shop early to avoid shortages.

So, if you don't have any idea what your budget is yet, it's hard to even answer your question on whether you can do this before year's end. I'll just maintain that once you find out what the budget is, be ready to buy something. I would also highly recommend buying form a trusted seller that honors full money back returns for at least a month (often 2 months during Xmas holiday here). Meantime, as I implied, looking for deals online is going to be more useful than asking questions we can't answer due to lack of info.

To give you an idea, here we regularly see deals at Newegg on brands like ABS, which is one of the better affordable prebuilt brands due to using quality vs in house parts, and usually adequate build workmanship (can vary during holiday rush). The typical prices have been around $1200 USD for a Intel based rig with a 3060 and 1TB NVMe drive, 16 GB RAM, etc. You're going to have to do a lot of the legwork though, or at least tell us what online vendors you prefer. I would consider narrowing down a search for systems in 3 different price brackets, so you'll be ready to make a decision at any price point.

In times like this, it's those whom do their research ahead of time, weigh their decisions carefully, and are quick to click when the time comes, that get what they want before it's too late.

Last edited:

MagaCarter

BANNED
Jun 3, 2021
My sister recommend we go there to see "what they can do for us" but then Dad saw gaming computer at Costo afterwards.

@Frag Maniac
Oh and I apparently do have a budget $2,000 or so.

But my parents want to know If I can play Sims on a GeForce 3070 graphics card. And is a 512 SSD enough for say 5 years? (I'm still unsure how many Gigabyte of Ram I need).

MagaCarter

BANNED
Jun 3, 2021
Yes, Sims will run just fine on that.
Drive size is all up to you. 512GB would not be enough for me. It is plenty for my spouse.
RAM - 16GB
I have 16GB on my current computer and I have already used it all up between Sims and Bluestacks . So I think we need something more then just 16GB of RAM.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
My sister recommend we go there to see "what they can do for us" but then Dad saw gaming computer at Costo afterwards.
Gaming machines are available then, it's just the matter of picking out what you want. Something with Ryzen 3600 or better. Rtx 2070s/3060. 16gb ram speed of around 2933 to 3200mhz. An ssd for boot drive + enough space for big games would be handy, at least 1tb in size, m2 or sata, won't matter which form factor (besides cable management) both will perform equally in games.

A 3070 based system at 2000 CAN may be a tall order. Closest to it I've seen is a BestBuy.ca price on an ASUS one for 2200, but I'm not sure I'd trust Best Buy much on a gaming PC, especially at or near the holiday rush.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-rog-strix-g15dk-gaming-pc-black-amd-ryzen-7-5800x-2tb-hdd-512gb-ssd-16gb-ram-geforce-rtx-3070/15397183

This of course is excluding any possible lower holiday prices popping up, which seems unlikely as most sites are advertising their deals early this year, and of course the shortage.

I HAVE however seen an ABS rig at Newegg.ca with 3060 Ti, Intel i7 11,700F, 16GB 3000 RAM, and 1TB NVMe drive for 2000 CAN. It also has an ASUS Prime MB, and comes with Keyboard and Mouse. A 3060 Ti is roughly 10-14% less performance than a 3070 depending on res, only 10% less at 1080p.

https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ali560/p/N82E16883360190

I only saw one gaming desktop at Costco.ca, a 3060 based MSI "Mag Codex 5", but you have to be a Costco member to see the price.

https://www.costco.ca/msi-mag-codex-5-11tc-490ca-gaming-desktop,-i5-11400.product.100799421.html

Last edited:

MagaCarter

BANNED
Jun 3, 2021
A 3070 based system at 2000 CAN may be a tall order. Closest to it I've seen is a BestBuy.ca price on an ASUS one for 2200, but I'm not sure I'd trust Best Buy much on a gaming PC, especially at or near the holiday rush.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-rog-strix-g15dk-gaming-pc-black-amd-ryzen-7-5800x-2tb-hdd-512gb-ssd-16gb-ram-geforce-rtx-3070/15397183

This of course is excluding any possible lower holiday prices popping up, which seems unlikely as most sites are advertising their deals early this year, and of course the shortage.

I HAVE however seen an ABS rig at Newegg.ca with 3060 Ti, Intel i7 11,700F, 16GB 3000 RAM, and 1TB NVMe drive for 2000 CAN. It also has an ASUS Prime MB, and comes with Keyboard and Mouse. A 3060 Ti is roughly 10-14% less performance than a 3070 depending on res, only 10% less at 1080p.

https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ali560/p/N82E16883360190

I only saw one gaming desktop at Costco.ca, a 3060 based MSI "Mag Codex 5", but you have to be a Costco member to see the price.

https://www.costco.ca/msi-mag-codex-5-11tc-490ca-gaming-desktop,-i5-11400.product.100799421.html
I think as soon as we hear back from Provincial government. We will finally be able to get the gaming computer after almost 7 months of waiting. It's just the delay is that we had to hear back from the government and I'm going to be really ticked off if we don't hear anything on Monday night since Mom wouldn't even check her email that night until "everyone has gone to bed" but I don't see why she couldn't check it before I go to bed since it's going to be my gaming computer. I mean if we hadn't been waiting to hear back about the super-special funding, we could have used my Money like a 2 months ago or more for a gaming computer. Heck my parents aren't even looking around for a gaming computer until we hear back from them. I mean could we at least look around while we wait to hear back?

So are you saying that $2000 is a bad/cheap budget?

MagaCarter

BANNED
Jun 3, 2021
Your 'budget' is whatever funds you can apply to this system.
Then, you buy or build the best system that fits in that budget.
we are buying a pre-built one. Since we don't have the skills to build one ourselves.. But my Mom only finally told me today that the budget is $2,000 or more. I had no clue about that before since as far as I knew before I literally had no budget for the gaming computer. Regardless of weather its from the government's money or I'm using my own money.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
we are buying a pre-built one. Since we don't have the skills to build one ourselves.. But my Mom only finally told me today that the budget is $2,000 or more. I had no clue about that before since as far as I knew before I literally had no budget for the gaming computer. Regardless of weather its from the government's money or I'm using my own money.
So then buy the best system you can within that amount of money.

And 'building' is much easier than you think.
Any semi intelligent 12 year old can assemble one.

So are you saying that $2000 is a bad/cheap budget?
No, not at all, but you should mention games other than SIMS you might be playing. My current rig has a GTX 1080 and 8700K, and there's not a game it can't play, usually on max settings (only exception is games like RDR2, which quite frankly is hard for MOST PCs to run on max).

According to TechPowerUp, a pretty reputable hardware review site, a 3060 has about 16% more relative performance than a 1080 at 1080p. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga-geforce-rtx-3060-xc/30.html

Don't sweat it too much, just use your time now to look at some of the deals out there in that price range. I've already given you some ground work to start from though.

MagaCarter

BANNED
Jun 3, 2021
No, not at all, but you should mention games other than SIMS you might be playing. My current rig has a GTX 1080 and 8700K, and there's not a game it can't play, usually on max settings (only exception is games like RDR2, which quite frankly is hard for MOST PCs to run on max). A 3060 is pretty close in performance to a 1080.

Don't sweat it too much, just use your time now to look at some of the deals out their in that price range. I've already given you some ground work to start from though.
Well the last time I mentioned the other games-I might be playing People acted like I was asking them to do the work for me. But the other games I might be play is Nancy Drew games (but I wouldn't be playing them all at the same time) . and they require at least 3GB of RAM (I know for all but one of the games, I will need to buy an external disk drive)

And Bluestacks app needs 4GB of ram so I can play some games on it

Non-games I will also need to download onto my computer is Photoscape for editing SimLit photos and there's no additional requirements except for it being a Windows Computer
I also need Adobe reader for Newspaper "stories" for my SimLit.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Well the last time I mentioned the other games-I might be playing People acted like I was asking them to do the work for me. But the other games I might be play is Nancy Drew games (but I wouldn't be playing them all at the same time) . and they require at least 3GB of RAM (I know for all but one of the games, I will need to buy an external disk drive)

And Bluestacks app needs 4GB of ram so I can play some games on it

Non-games I will also need to download onto my computer is Photoscape for editing SimLit photos and there's no additional requirements except for it being a Windows Computer
For your stated use, $2000 CDN is overkill.

I also need Adobe reader for Newspaper "stories" for my SimLit.
Free PDF reader

MagaCarter

BANNED
Jun 3, 2021

Free PDF reader
I have 7 EPs of SIms 4
13 Stuff packs of Sims 4
7 Game packs of the Sims 4

I want to buy 3 more EPs of the Sims 4 and 1 stuff pack of the Sims 4- and they all are 4GB of RAM. And that's not including space for Mods and CC which I also will need.

Then the Nancy Drew Games and of the games I own have their own amount of RAM some require 1GB while others require 3GB

Then the Bluestacks which like the Sims require 4GB of RAM

And Adobe which I know is free
I also will need to download Photoscape as well.

But both Adobe and PhotoScape do take up space on one's computer.

It would appear so, I agree, but I always like to get an idea of whether the person asking is new to gaming, and might be taking on a broader scope of games soon. It's definitely the case though that nothing mentioned thus far requires a 2000 CAN PC.

Also, you quoted the unedited version of my last post, so I'll just add this to clarify that a 3060 based PC would be a bit more powerful than mine.

"...a 3060 has about 16% more relative performance than a 1080 at 1080p. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga-geforce-rtx-3060-xc/30.html"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY