Question How lilely am I to get a gaming computer this year?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MagaCarter

BANNED
Jun 3, 2021
I'm waiting to hear back about special funding from the "community funding" (which means I'm the one buying it and the government might remburise me. Then we can look into finally getting me a gaming computer. Mom thinks that due to the fact there's a "Shortage of computer chips" there might be a problem in getting a gaming computer. I think that's is a load of baloney because of the fact we're not building one but getting a pre-build one. So how likely is it for me to get a pre-built gaming computer?

Last edited:

MagaCarter

BANNED
Jun 3, 2021
Why can't you just back up your savegame files?

There appear to be issues maintaining the old PC. Why would that change with the new PC?

Maybe this time my parents will actually listen to what I say about maintaining the computer? Like until this June despite my objections from 2014 onwards-the tower was underneath the desk.. They finally moved it to the top of the desk in June . I had always thought that having the desktop underneath the computer was a bad idea (dust), but they didn't want to listen to me. And we just don't see any point in currently updating either the drivers OR the operating system if we are getting me a gaming computer in the near future. But we don't know what gaming computer we need because this is going to be my first actually gaming computer. Like summer of last year I bend over backwards trying every single test-doing CPU temp tests, to doing the meme86 test and nothing showed any problems. And when Dad showed it to the a guy at the store we brought it from the employee (without opening it up when I thought it was bugling capitors) thought a Sims 3 fix for a laptop might work (but it doesn't work for Sims 4) and when I asked for information from the EA help forum.. people said the guy said I need a new graphics card. Just let say last summer I learned a billion things about a computer and I still had same problems THIS summer and I'm getting annoyed I can't play Sims during the summer.

Heck the other day.. my sims game crashed when I was trying to play it. The only difference between the summer/humid weather and this time is that I could actually use the hot keys and the mouse to exit out of the program. Something I can't normally due when the entire computer locks up and/or fall asleep. But the computer locking up happened this summer in humid levels (i could play at least the mobile games when the temp up here was in the late 20s, but not if it was in the 30s) when I was playing games other then Sims 4. Like using Bluestacks to play Hogwarts Mystery mobile game.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Go back through your thread and review the suggestions and thoughts others have made regarding what a gaming machine would consist of.

Desktop placement is personal choice and practicality of space and comfort. If ambient temperature is an issue then best place for it is where the coolest air is, which is low as possible. Every now and then, 4~6 months, use a can of compressed air to blow it out.

MagaCarter

BANNED
Jun 3, 2021
Go back through your thread and review the suggestions and thoughts others have made regarding what a gaming machine would consist of.

Desktop placement is personal choice and practicality of space and comfort. If ambient temperature is an issue then best place for it is where the coolest air is, which is low as possible. Every now and then, 4~6 months, use a can of compressed air to blow it out.

It froze up a bit less when it was on the desk. But froze up more when it was underneath the desk (despite havign a fan blow on it) And also with it being on the desk, we could open up the window behind it to help it out. And I had a fan blow on it when it was on top of the desk. But there isn't any point in during that now not if in the next month (I hope I get it before Dec).. of me getting a gaming computer. Like I said maybe my parents will actually listen to the computer expert who still lives in the house with the new computer about maintaining it.

But all you guys gave me wasn't really helpful its like you guys are speaking Greek to me. Since I'm still at square one of having no idea what to buy to support the games I want to play. I mean I have to decided on what I need for CPU, RAM, hard drive space, etc? When I have 0 clue of what I need? I mean if I had any idea of what I need, I wouldn't be asking in the first place. Or I would be asking "is this a good computer?"

Like I learned today.. the MSI computer Dad saw at Costco's was a bad one due to the SSD that comes with it caused crashes (even though I DID tell him we could replace it). And I also know that any computer with 8gb RAM is worthless. I need way more then that .

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Need to learn Greek then if you want to make an informed decision.

Perhaps look for pre-built machine consisting of

Intel: i5 10400/10400f/11400/11400f. F stands for no igpu.

Amd: Ryzen 5 2600/ 3600 /5600.

^processors not needing a great deal of cooling compared to the faster models. Would make sense in your climate.

Graphics card, any modern gaming card based on availability.

Ram. 2x 8gb or 2x16gb, depending on budget and what pre-built model has what in terms of other specs. Ryzen likes fast ram so look for a machine with at least 2933 if go Amd. Intel doesn't matter as much but would still prefer at least 2666.

Storage, well an ssd is no brainer these days, 1tb minimum. However you go about making sure components are of some quality, to be frank not have much control over with prebuilts, is do research and more research on specs for any PC of interest.

Review benchmarks here or other places like Techspot to gauge performance for processors and graphics cards to see and base decision what you might want and see what stores have to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.