How long after a GPU release are Custom Cooled version released?

trawetSluaP

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013
Looking at selling my current GPUs and getting a 780 but with the imminent (I hope) release of the 970/980, I was wondering how long after a reference GPU is released that the custom cooler cards from the likes of ASUS, MSI et all are released.

Are they released at the same time as the reference cards? We've all seen MSI's sneak peak at their new cooler so I suppose it's possible.

I'm asking as I'm going to sell my current GPUs asap and buy a cheaper card. I don't want to wait months though if that's how long custom coolers normally take to appear on the scene. If this is the case then I'll probably get a 780.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Don't you mean the 870/880? And custom coolers are usually released around 3-4 months after the reference versions are pushed out. The big exception was the 7970 launch which featured a paltry amount of reference cards and a large amount of semi-custom cards were out as soon as it launched.

trawetSluaP

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013

It's been all but confirmed that the new cards released, or at least announced this month are going under the 900 Series name.

I really hope it isn't 3-4 months, I'd be unable to play most of my games with my onboard GPU haha.

dovah-chan

Honorable
I can see why they would do that because they released an 8XX mobiles series and don't wish to confuse people so they'll just skip a number on the desktop card's naming scheme in order to keep them in sync. Anyways nvidia's reference coolers are nice - especially the titan cooler. I can't see any issue with having one of them. In fact I'd prefer a reference nvidia card over a semi custom card. Well as long as it's as good as the titan reference cooler.

trawetSluaP

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013

I do like the Titan's cooler. It just doesn't cool quite as efficiently as and after-market cooler.

I'm really hoping that either A) The 980 is released with after-market custom coolers to begin with, or B) the 780 gets a decent price drop in light of the new releases.