How long an 120 SSD will last?

goblin329

Honorable
Mar 2, 2014
Hi. I'm thinking of buying an 120GB SSD for some speed boost cos I have heard that they are 10x faster. I'm thinking to install on it Win 7, Chrome and League of Legends. I've heard they last only 1 to 2 years. It doesn't make sense to me to pay 70 - 100$ for only 1 to 2 years of use when I can get HDD for half as price with 2x as much space what could last for over a decade. So I'm wondering is what people tell me is true? I thought I would ask on this forum to somebody who is pro ate computers instead. How long would it last with only OS, one 10GB video game and Chrome installed on it? Minimum in years? I'm thinking of KINGSTON SSDNOW V300 by the way. It is the most affordable in my country.

Solution
Most SSDs today come with a warranty of at least 3 years, some with 5 and some even 10! There is no guarantee though - like any piece of electronics, you might be unlucky and it might die within a week, or last you 15 years without a hiccup. SSDs are now a meture technology and you are quite safe no matter which brand you pick - they should outlive all your other components easily.

That being said, do not get that Kingston. Very bad NAND chips, terrible performance for its class. It used to be a great SSD a few years ago, not so lately after Kingston decided to cheap out on that model. Get Samsung 850 EVO.
Most SSDs today come with a warranty of at least 3 years, some with 5 and some even 10! There is no guarantee though - like any piece of electronics, you might be unlucky and it might die within a week, or last you 15 years without a hiccup. SSDs are now a meture technology and you are quite safe no matter which brand you pick - they should outlive all your other components easily.

That being said, do not get that Kingston. Very bad NAND chips, terrible performance for its class. It used to be a great SSD a few years ago, not so lately after Kingston decided to cheap out on that model. Get Samsung 850 EVO.

Solution

hamzahfelix

Distinguished
SSD now are much more reliable and affordable than they used to be a few years back. Most reputable brands ssd will AT LEAST live their lives until they become completely obsolete in the market, well over their warranties.

Crucial MX, Adata, Samsung 850 evo, SanDisk, OCZ arc, Intel, Corsair Force Series LS are good. For the money I would go for a 850 evo, but depending on where you're living just go for the cheapest among these.

According to Teksyndicate, Kingston did a memory switch module on the V300 after all the reviews are out, so I would not buy them. The HyperX series, on the other hand is very nice, but they are at a premium price point.

USAFRet

Titan