[SOLVED] How long can I run on Windows 1909 build?

jnsc

Prominent
Aug 20, 2018
Question: How long do you think I have to keep running my laptop successfully on the Windows 1909 build? (Details below.) I'm relatively new to the area of managing Windows; this is the first laptop on which I've upgraded basic components and want to see how far my work will take me. So far, it runs well for office and administrative tasks.

Here is why I ask: The latest Windows 10 build, 2004, broke my internal mic and camera drivers, which are essential for video conferencing (sadly, a BFD right now). I tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers through Device Manager and rebooting multiple times, which didn't work; also, Dell doesn't supply Windows 10 drivers for this machine. I can buy externals to work around, but that costs an extra $100-200 (or more), given the demand right now.

My laptop details:
Dell Latitude E6420 (circa 2012)
Intel Core i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50Ghz
10GB RAM
500GB SSD, Samsung 860 EVO
Windows 10 Pro
Version 1909
OS Build 18363.836

Thank you for your time.

Solution
18 months.

But....small issues like what you're seeing happens with every major OS update. And not just Windows.
Some small percentage of systems will have 'issues'.

Whatever problems exist in the current 2004 rollout will be fixed at some point in the future.
Might be next week, might be next month. THey might skip this whole version completely, and blow it off until the fall.

USAFRet

Titan
18 months.

But....small issues like what you're seeing happens with every major OS update. And not just Windows.
Some small percentage of systems will have 'issues'.

Whatever problems exist in the current 2004 rollout will be fixed at some point in the future.
Might be next week, might be next month. THey might skip this whole version completely, and blow it off until the fall.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
how long is up to MS. they set an expiration date for each version and it won't boot after that date.

never tried but as far as i know, you can't adjust this date to get longer out of it. hopefully the next update fixes the issues you are having and you can move up then

Latest posts