How Long Do You Think?

JacobStar910

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
How long do you think this setup will last?

Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor
Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus Sabertooth X79 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
(2) Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Corsair C70 Gunmetal Black (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Asus VG278HE 144Hz 27.0" Monitor

How long do you think this setup will last maxing out games over 60 fps? (In years)
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2MhgO

Willing to make any changes, any better cooler than the h100i, I'd like to know! ;)

Games I plan to play
Battlefield 3
ArmA 2
ArmA 2 OA
ArmA 2 DayZ
DayZ Standalone
Battlefield 4

Solution
we can only state our opinions here from years of building our own computers, knowing performance of parts and in general from our sense of aesthetics but i also agree with darksable here.

you could likely get away with z87 and either an i5 haswell (if gaming only) or i7 haswell (if doing other tasks.) while x79 and the 2011 socket chips are very powerful there are also quite a bit of problems associated with x79 which appears on many of the boards which do not seem to appear on z87. x79 also has limited support and you have a limited number of boards to choose from while with z87 there is a plethora. unless you need 6 cores and 12 threads (if you are gaming only this would be a no) then it would likely be worth avoiding and saving...
Weeelll... I think it's wasting a LOT of money in a lot of weird places. You could probably save several hundred dollars and get pretty much equal performance and be able to spend more money on the graphics card.

(For example, that sound card? Will be doing absolutely NOTHING... and even if it were, isn't better than the onboard sound of that overpriced motherboard.)

honestly... that is a question impossible to answer as we really do not know where the future of gaming is headed.

however if we can look at the past as an example?

perhaps 3-4 maybe 5 years at 1080p maxing out the latest and greatest over 60fps. perhaps another 1-3 maxing out lesser titles.

although... another complete crusher could come around which can crush even $5000 systems. we really dont know.

thats at 1080p at 60hz.

if you want 120+fps or if you want greater than 1080p then you can cut that number cleanly in half.
-------

i also see alot of money wasted. you would be better off building a good system now and then just rehashing it in 5 years. that always amounts to better performance instead of trying to go as long as possible.

JacobStar910

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
I'm not on a budget, if I were to put one until I got unconftorable it'd be 6-7k.
I'm just wondering if there's any parts that would give me any higher FPS in today's games.

Well... a highly overclocked i5-4670k will actually perform better than that LGA 2011 CPU - its only advantage is that it has way more PCI bandwidth... but with 2-way sli that's not an issue, and adding a third card doesn't really do much of anything.

But here's my question... even if you have $6k that you can just blow on a computer, and even if you're so rich that's nothing to you, why in the world would you spend so much money if spending less money could give you equal performance.

Also, if you do have a budget that large, why aren't you doing custom watercooling? It will give you a silent PC with better thermals - what's not to like?

we can only state our opinions here from years of building our own computers, knowing performance of parts and in general from our sense of aesthetics but i also agree with darksable here.

you could likely get away with z87 and either an i5 haswell (if gaming only) or i7 haswell (if doing other tasks.) while x79 and the 2011 socket chips are very powerful there are also quite a bit of problems associated with x79 which appears on many of the boards which do not seem to appear on z87. x79 also has limited support and you have a limited number of boards to choose from while with z87 there is a plethora. unless you need 6 cores and 12 threads (if you are gaming only this would be a no) then it would likely be worth avoiding and saving your cash.

now.... if i had money like you do to blow what would i personally purchase? probably something like what i have below. note not all components are shown (missing cooler, os, dvd which i explain below)
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Msxi

notes:
-the nzxt h440 isnt a bad case either but it lacks room for dvd drives. good cooling though. either an external or no dvd drive would need to be used.
-the motherboard i picked out is top of the line and i personally use an extreme (though an older one). you could get away with cheaper but the features are definitely nice.
-as far as cooling is concerned you could go large air (nh-d14 or ph-tc14pe) though ram clearance could be an issue. instead i would likely go with a larger cpu loop from corsair or nxzt. which one you use depends on the case you buy. a custom loop is another option as well and is overall much nicer. or you could buy evga 780ti's and remove the headsinks and put on water blocks for a custom loop. i think evga still covers them with the heatsinks removed but check on this
-i did not put a dvd drive since i listed the h440 ans an option. in any case anything works.
-i did not list an os however for $79 on ebay windows 7 64 is a good buy.

dont forget that with that sort of budget you could buy a nice monitor, a nice sound system, good quality perepherals, a nice desk, etcetera.

while not ideal to how i would like it to be... you could check out the link in my sig to see what i'm running and that can maybe give you some ideas.

-------------------

in any case... up to you how you want to spend your money.

all we can do is offer up an opinion on the route we would go.

edit:

oh and why did i use 1tb drives?

i'm on my 5th rma of 1.5 and 2tb drives since they arent that reliable..

do yourself a huge favor and stay away. the larger drives really arent that reliable. use the smaller ones or keep everything backed up on two drives in a raid 1.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS