How long does a MACBOOK AIR lasts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_le_xx

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
I'd like to know your experiences on having a MacBook Air and if some of you is still using the first model. I hope to find mature and honest users and not removed by mod :p

Solution

I'm working as an Apple service technician and I can tell you it mostly depends on how you take care of them. If you follow these simple pieces of advice that are good for any laptop, it can last until you get bored of it:
- Avoid dusty surfaces. Avoid any liquid going into the MacBook.
- Avoid stopping the vents on the sides (the slits where the air goes in), depending on the model, they can be on the sides or on the back under the display. Macoboks are true laptops, meaning you can put them on your lap because there're no vents...

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

I'm working as an Apple service technician and I can tell you it mostly depends on how you take care of them. If you follow these simple pieces of advice that are good for any laptop, it can last until you get bored of it:
- Avoid dusty surfaces. Avoid any liquid going into the MacBook.
- Avoid stopping the vents on the sides (the slits where the air goes in), depending on the model, they can be on the sides or on the back under the display. Macoboks are true laptops, meaning you can put them on your lap because there're no vents underside. BUT DON'T USE YOUR LAPTOP ON A BED OR ANYTHING THAT STOPS THE VENTS, OVERHEATING WILL STRESS COMPONENTS but won't seriously damage the mac, it'll shut down itself if it overheats.
Once a year (or depending of the dustiness your laptop works on), clean inside the MacBook like this:
1. Get a "Pentalobe" screwdriver on amazon or something for around £5, a brush (a small paint brush would be OK, or those antistatic brushes they sell on ebay cheap would be even better). If it's very dusty, get a bottle of compressed air to blow out dust.
2. Unscrew the bottom lid (10 screws) and INMEDIATELY DISCONNECT THE BATTERY CONNECTOR ON THE LOGIC BOARD using your fingernail or some plastic screwdriver (nothing metallic!), IT'S THE LARGEST CONNECTOR on the center of the main board where near to the battery.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE BATTERY, a simple strong finger press can squash it and damage it. Don't touch any components!. The battery is covered with a sticker you may need to remove.
3. Dust off everything with the brush, use compressed air on the fan if needed (don't blow with your mouth, the saliva could rust-destroy stuff).
Connect the battery and screw back the lid. The screws should screwed on using a certain order: top center left, bottom center right, top center right, bottom center left, centre right, center left, and then the vertices. If you don't follow this order, at least try to help pressing with your hands as you screw them on. Otherwise the bottom lid could seat incorrectly and bulge.

Clean the screen using a screen liquid and microfiber lint free cloth.

Macs use very good quality components. But also, if you get any other laptop with a little lower price, you'll get very good quality as well.
Hope it helps.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.