[SOLVED] How long does a PC, notebook and hardware parts have a lifetime?

kifirefox

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2014
1 What better brands and models for this? Which give the most usable lifespan?
2 Which helps to last longer like line filter clamper, power supply, electrical ground and coaxial surge protector dps clamper, etc.
3 What is the lifetime of each part? Except the cabinet, which is metal and does not expire. motherboard, HD, SSD, memory, power supply (I realized that these are the pieces of hardware that burn the most).

I don't know how long a motherboard lasts, but I bought a used one and it's been working for over 5 years without even going to repair. I don't know which category, that's why I put it in the most sensitive one, which are hds. (I know it doesn't last long).

Solution
Can't really provide a solid answer to this. Consider looking up the term Mean Time Between Failures for more specifics.

Every generation of hardware is essentially new, what testing the manufacturer can do is usually accelerated or based on projections. That is one way they set their warranty periods, they are betting on the product lasting as long as they say.

Yes, things like line conditioners and UPS can help extend the life of computer components by moving the stress of noise filtering to those components. Surge protectors are literally there to prevent damage from surges on the line. They should be replaced regularly.

Only takes one critical component to fail to take out a computer. A single bad capacitor, resistor, MOSFET...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Can't really provide a solid answer to this. Consider looking up the term Mean Time Between Failures for more specifics.

Every generation of hardware is essentially new, what testing the manufacturer can do is usually accelerated or based on projections. That is one way they set their warranty periods, they are betting on the product lasting as long as they say.

Yes, things like line conditioners and UPS can help extend the life of computer components by moving the stress of noise filtering to those components. Surge protectors are literally there to prevent damage from surges on the line. They should be replaced regularly.

Only takes one critical component to fail to take out a computer. A single bad capacitor, resistor, MOSFET, etc. Each of those has a expected failure rate as well.

Integrated circuits can conceivably last decades, generally other secondary components that fail. Capacitors are the most common.

User replaceable parts like fans, pumps, and hard drives are the most likely to fail. You pay for the expected number of hours of runtime.

Chassis can get out of date as the components change size.

Solution

kifirefox

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2014
the way you talk is scaring me, as if the hardware components last only a few years. I have a ddr2 pc that is still in use with no defects. but i have a ddr3 pc that lasted less time, even though it is superior and newer technology, it still lasted less time.

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
the way you talk is scaring me, as if the hardware components last only a few years. I have a ddr2 pc that is still in use with no defects. but i have a ddr3 pc that lasted less time, even though it is superior and newer technology, it still lasted less time.
Depends on luck, quality and stability. (also not going over limits)... My DDR3 PC lived for 10 years and technically still working even with OC (well, not 3.9, but 3.75 gHz at point when i finally made my upgrade, but still)...
OC can make CPU work on less frequency with time, and can kill RAM if heat is too much to dissipate.
UV can prolong life of components as less heat and current will go for the most part...
PWS can prolong life with stability of currents it provides
etc, etc... Still it is all up to components, as it was mentioned, one bad piece and at some moment if something happened that wasn't supposed to for a moment and it all can just poof with magic blue smoke all electronics work on from what we all know

Easiest part you can control to prolong life - temperature and power supply

USAFRet

Titan
Parts don't actually fail that often.
Especially components with no moving parts.

Hard drives, for instance:
I have some that are over20 years old, and still work.
I've also had a 5 week old drive die, and another one right now that I'm waiting on a replacement for, that was 7 months old.
This is from a personal sample size of several dozen.

The only motherboard I've had fail, ever, was due to a faulty low end PSU.

Of the hundreds of various fans, cumulative millions of hours running time...I've had 3 go bad.

Reactions: DimkaTsv

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Over the years I have lost a few CPU fans and case fans. In the early days, quite a few power supplies and their fans (they've gotten a lot better since then when they moved to 120mm and larger) Two motherboards over the years haven't died, but stopped operating correctly. Capacitor plague years for one, and too much memory voltage the other. Never had a CPU or GPU die on me personally. Lot of hard drives died on me in the early 2000s.

My father had a CPU go bad on him, starting sucking down about 3 times the power it needed, ended up melting the PSU wires and the ATX connector. (Processor still worked, just ran a little warm)

I've had friends with GPU failure, but those were mistreated really. Smoking and 24/7 operation.

Long as you keep the system cool and clean, it can last far longer than its useful life. I still have a DDR3 system running as my HTPC.

But if you want to talk aged components. I still have a dual pentium 1 server, a dual pentium 2 server (with Voodoo 5) that still work. Pre-DDR. I have an old Performa HD Mac that still works with a Motorola CPU. And the oldest thing I have that functions is a TI99-4a floor model with all the features. (A little surprised none of the caps have failed in that one)

Older electronics were made more bulky though, so they have some greater endurance. New silicon is on very small process nodes, so there is greater chance of electromigration that can kill them more quickly, but these sub 50nm process nodes aren't that old yet. Still, obsolescence comes before breakdown in most cases. But for every 900/1000 that will work for a decade you will have the other 50 that will work for 50 years, and the other 50 that will work for 3 weeks.