[SOLVED] How long does it take to full format a 1/2 terabyte flash drive? I've been waiting.

Dec 27, 2021
I'm trying to convert my Phillips 3.0 fash drive from FS to NTFS using Windows command-line. The flash drive has always been slow. It contains about 150 GB out of 1/2 terabyte of storage. How much longer can I expect to wait? It has been almost 10 hours now and I'm getting nervous. I know that it's still doing something because the flash drive has a flickering light.

Solution
This entirely depends on the speed of the Flash drive.
A full format writes and reads the entire drive checking for bad sectors.

At this point, your data is erased. I would cancel the full format and do a quick format.

popatim

Titan
This entirely depends on the speed of the Flash drive.
A full format writes and reads the entire drive checking for bad sectors.

At this point, your data is erased. I would cancel the full format and do a quick format.

Solution
Dec 27, 2021
The read speed is up to 100 MB/s. The write speed is up to 30 MB/s. When mine is writing though, it usually varies between 20 and zero. People have said that they've done this conversion without losing data, and I'd rather not lose data because I have a couple things that are not backed up.

USAFRet

Titan
The read speed is up to 100 MB/s. The write speed is up to 30 MB/s. When mine is writing though, it usually varies between 20 and zero. People have said that they've done this conversion without losing data, and I'd rather not lose data because I have a couple things that are not backed up.
Wait....you're doing, from your title, a "full format".
Yet there is (or rather WAS) data on this that you still need?

Dec 27, 2021
I used

CONVERT d: /FS:NTFS /NOSECURITY

I saw that from a YouTube video with lots of comments saying they used it without losing data. I didn't think this would take such a long time.

I'm converting from FAT32.

Dec 27, 2021
Wait....you're doing, from your title, a "full format".
Yet there is (or rather WAS) data on this that you still need?

I think I'm doing a full format because this is taking a billion years. Not a good idea in hindsight. Should have backed up a few things and then performed a quick format. This is now a waiting game and I'm not 100% certain if I'll get the data back. :rolleyes:

Dec 27, 2021
I unplugged the flash drive in the middle of formatting because I was just going to quit on it. I put it back in and got a Windows pop-up saying that the flash drive had major issues, so I click on it for a "scan and repair". Windows actually did its job and fixed things, my data is still there! I was able to open them without problems. What a relief, I was getting pretty annoyed. It's still in FAT32 format by the way.

TRENDING THREADS