How long does it take to install windows 7 x64?

Trickster98

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
I am building a a new rig from scratch and I am wondering how long might it take to install windows 7 x64 on it (including updates)
I7 4790
8 GB RAM Hyperx
Nvidia Palit GTX 970 Jetstream

Depends on what you are using to install it -- and the system it is being installed on. IE. Do you have all of your updated drivers already downloaded and ready to install or are you using the disk that came with the MOBO and then updating afterwards or planning on going online during the install and finding them then? Does your windows image already have the Service packs slipstreamed into it or is it an older install disk without the Service packs that will need to download all of the updates afterwards ? Are you instaling from DVD or USB thumbdrive ? ETC., ETC, ETC.

Generally it can take anywhere from 15 minutes +/- (if things go smoothly and you have everything needed and run into no problems) to a couple hours or more if you run into problems.

(IE. When installing Windows 7, you might see one of the following error messages:

"No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation." or "Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware."

Which can take a while to find the fix for if you do not have all of the drivers you need ready to go )

Best to allocate a couple hours minimum for the process and be prepared should any problems arise than to only allocate 20 minutes and not have the time needed if a problem does show up.