[SOLVED] How long should a reboot after BIOS update take?

Dec 2, 2021
Hi,

So I just built my new PC and after the Windows 10 install I wanted to update the BIOS on my Gigabyte B560M Aorus Pro. Originally, the Motherboard had an older update called F2, I went ahead and downloaded the newest version, F8. There were no notes to install another version before installing F8. I successfully updated the BIOS via Q-Flash and once it was finished, it showed a 5 sec countdown to restart the system (I assume automatically). Afterwards, the Display went black and stayed that way since (it's been about 10 min). Only thing going on in the case are some orange LEDs on the board, that illuminate something down at the HD-Audio header. Troubleshooting-LEDs, fans and everything else is shut down and I have not removed the USB-stick I used to flash the BIOS.

Is this amount of time passing by normal? Any advice on what I could do? Since it's my first build I'm a little worried that I bricked the board, because everything was working fine prior to the update.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
There were no notes to install another version before installing F8.
Well, usually you always supposed to flash previous version, unless it is some 14b - 14e difference.
Also for my B550M Aorus Elite after update loading into BIOS taken... well maybe 30-40 seconds i suppose.

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
There were no notes to install another version before installing F8.
Well, usually you always supposed to flash previous version, unless it is some 14b - 14e difference.
Also for my B550M Aorus Elite after update loading into BIOS taken... well maybe 30-40 seconds i suppose.

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The best way to go about updating BIOS is to gradually work your way to the latest version. In your instance, you should've flashed the BIOS in this order F4>F5>F7>F8. You might want to let it do it's thing. The last thing you could do is power down the system and then disconnect from the wall and display and remove the CMOS battery, if you don't see anything happening in 30 minutes time.

Mind sharing the rest of your specs with us? Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Dec 2, 2021

First of all, thanks for your fast response!
So the patch notes said the following:
  1. Major vulnerabilities updates, customers are strongly encouraged to update to this release at the earliest.
    Credits to "Assaf Carlsbad and Itai Liba from SentinelOne"
  2. Introduce capsule BIOS support starting this version.
    Customers will NOT be able to reverse to previous BIOS version due to major vulnerabilities concerns.
Because of that, I was not under the impression that I had to install another update in between... Do you maybe have any idea what I could do now? I'm wondering if I should cut the power or unplug the USB stick or something like that,but I have the feeling, that would just make everything worse

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
if I should cut the power

well, as @Lutfij said

You might want to let it do it's thing. The last thing you could do is power down the system and then disconnect from the wall and display and remove the CMOS battery

Wait for a while... if after 30-40 mins still noting happens, you may as well try to reset CMOS. If still nothing, then... well maybe Gigabyte tech support for physical BIOS chip change or physical by pin reflash?

Dec 2, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The best way to go about updating BIOS is to gradually work your way to the latest version. In your instance, you should've flashed the BIOS in this order F4>F5>F7>F8. You might want to let it do it's thing. The last thing you could do is power down the system and then disconnect from the wall and display and remove the CMOS battery, if you don't see anything happening in 30 minutes time.

Thank you as well for your answer!
Ok, I think I'm going to wait a little longer before clear CMOS.

CPU: i5 11400
Motherboard: B560M Aorus Pro
Ram: 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Mhz (XMP enabled)
SSD/HDD: 1TB M.2 NVMe, 2TB 7200rpm HDD
GPU: Still waiting for the arrival, so Intel UHD right now, but it's not a gaiming rig anyway :)
PSU: Pure Power 11 FM 550W
Chassis: Fractal Meshify C
OS: Win 10 Home (The version you can make a boot drive from as of today)

PS: Thanks for the welcome, would have been nicer to find this community under different cirumstances :D

Dec 2, 2021
So first I tried the reset switch on my case, then the power button. Both had no effect. Then I pulled the USB drive and still nothing happened. So i turned off the power and the orange LEDs also turned off.

I just took out the battery for about a minute and couldn't start up the system either. So I assume that means, that I messed up the board...

Do you maybe have an idea what I need to do next (as in contact support or are there other things I could try?)?

Thanks for all your help by the way!

Dec 2, 2021
Damn, but I guess it's better experiencing stuff like that early on. Only thing is that I don't even exactly know what I did wrong...

You will get different opinions on this but mine is if it's not broke don't try to fix it.

I honestly thought that it was mandatory and good practice to keep the motherboard on the newest BIOS update despite it obviously not being without risk. I also read this (already wrote it above but in another context) on the BIOS patch notes:

1. Major vulnerabilities updates, customers are strongly encouraged to update to this release at the earliest.
    Customers will NOT be able to reverse to previous BIOS version due to major vulnerabilities concerns.
So that was another reason for me to try it our. But I guess I will go on and try to get it fixed or something like that, since it didn't even run for a full hour...

But thank you again to everybody who tried to help me, very much appreciated!!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Damn, but I guess it's better experiencing stuff like that early on. Only thing is that I don't even exactly know what I did wrong...

I honestly thought that it was mandatory and good practice to keep the motherboard on the newest BIOS update despite it obviously not being without risk. I also read this (already wrote it above but in another context) on the BIOS patch notes:

So that was another reason for me to try it our. But I guess I will go on and try to get it fixed or something like that, since it didn't even run for a full hour...

But thank you again to everybody who tried to help me, very much appreciated!!
I would try to send it back and get a exchange.

going from F2 to F8 shouldnt be causing any issues, bios flash tool replaces whatever it needs to be replaced
something went wrong
did you compared checksum before updating your bios? network errors happens all the time, and some data gets flipped, which is really bad for bios where every bit has its meaning

when you use qflash and select bos file, it shows checksum of that file, compare with checksum written on bios download page

Dec 2, 2021
going from F2 to F8 shouldnt be causing any issues, bios flash tool replaces whatever it needs to be replaced
something went wrong
did you compared checksum before updating your bios? network errors happens all the time, and some data gets flipped, which is really bad for bios where every bit has its meaning

when you use qflash and select bos file, it shows checksum of that file, compare with checksum written on bios download page

No, unfortunately I didn't compare the checksum, bur aren't they supposed to be different? If I recall correctly, I read through the patchnotes of the previous versions to see whether I had to install one of them in between and they all had different checksum tags...

But anyways, I'm going to try to contact the seller and if that doesn't work I'll try Gigabyte themselves

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
aren't they supposed to be different?
Why? But ofc they aren't. Do you even know what checksum is to write this?
Checksum is result of formula that was specifically created to react really hard on even smallest changes in data. Only difference between algoritms you may be interested in - is speed of creating checksum, and checksum length (longer checksum, less data variance can create same checksum, even though even with common used algorithms you have insane amount of different checksums, so hitting same one by changing a file... well you must try REALLY hard)

Checksum should ALWAYS be same for same file, because it will show that file content is same as original. If checksum is different, that means that one of the files was corrupted
And corrupted BIOS img is... well... really counterproductive, if i should use that word

Reactions: kerberos_20