Question How long this SSD going to last?

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Hello ..
So i bought a second hand dell i7 from market
Which included a SSD for a cheap price(82 usd)
So i bought it(actually i needed this as my main pc)
Well the SSD they gave me is kinda used as you can see in the picture and has already reached tbw(40tbw limit but reached 61+)
CrystalDiskInfo shows about 1 year used
It shows that previous owner really used it roughly.
Well on the other hand,Hd sentinel application is showing about 572 days remaining and 327 days used approximately..
I was curious if its gonna fail soon and when?
Is that really gonna last 500+ days?i want to know what level i am on? Safe or danger?
Thanks

SSD: https://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/a400-solid-state-drive

CrystalDiskInfo: https://ibb.co/mCk0PSh

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what is important is the TB written. it does not just die when that number is reached but you can start seeing write errors anytime after that point.

it is at 62 TB written with an expected life of 40 TB.

i'd just set it aside and not use it myself. SSd's are so cheap right now, no reason to risk any of your data on it.

at the very least if you insist on using it, the use it for basic data storage that is 100% unimportant. no reason to risk anything of any importance at all.

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
what is important is the TB written. it does not just die when that number is reached but you can start seeing write errors anytime after that point.

it is at 62 TB written with an expected life of 40 TB.

i'd just set it aside and not use it myself. SSd's are so cheap right now, no reason to risk any of your data on it.

at the very least if you insist on using it, the use it for basic data storage that is 100% unimportant. no reason to risk anything of any importance at all.
I just use it for basic daily task like chrome win boot up and installing little mb bases applications

USAFRet

Titan
So there's no real estimation for that? Im scared although i dont have any personal data on it...just the OS
I've had 1 SATA SSD die.
960GB SanDisk.

It was nowhere near the warranty TBW number. 3 years old.

It died suddenly and completely.

All data on it was recovered by my nightly backup routine.

Drives die.
Running out of write cycles is not the only way.

Keep good backups, use it until it dies.

Hopefully, it dies within the warranty period.
If so, free replacement.
If not...well, it had a good life. Replace.

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
I've had 1 SATA SSD die.
960GB SanDisk.

It was nowhere near the warranty TBW number. 3 years old.

It died suddenly and completely.

All data on it was recovered by my nightly backup routine.

Drives die.
Running out of write cycles is not the only way.

Keep good backups, use it until it dies.
Hopefully, it dies within the warranty period.
If so, free replacement.
If not...well, it had a good life. Replace.
So im just gonna have to pray for it to last few years or just go the shop and ask for a new one? There are chances he might give me another one

USAFRet

Titan
That maybe part scares me : (
ALL storage devices are subject to die.
All of them.

Recently, I had a 7 month old Toshiba HDD die. Free warranty replacement.
Previously, a 5 week old WD HDD. Free replacement.
The above mentioned SanDisk SSD. Even though it was 33 days past the 3 year warranty, SanDisk gave me a new one anyway.

In all cases, the data on those dead drives was recovered from my backup routine.

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
ALL storage devices are subject to die.
All of them.

Recently, I had a 7 month old Toshiba HDD die. Free warranty replacement.
Previously, a 5 week old WD HDD. Free replacement.
The above mentioned SanDisk SSD. Even though it was 33 days past the 3 year warranty, SanDisk gave me a new one anyway.

In all cases, the data on those dead drives was recovered from my backup routine.
So i dont have to replace it right? Is it gonna die regardless or its age ?

Reactions: bniknafs9

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
I found out that Kingston a400 uses TLC Nand memory

so i'm not accused of providing false information , for you mate :

MLC VS TLC: Durability​

In addition to performance, endurance is also an essential factor for an SSD. Thus, this part is about TLC vs MLC for durability. Compared with a cell that stores three bits of data, a cell that stores only one bit will be written fewer times. The fewer the number of writes on a cell, the longer its lifespan.

The read/write life cycle of TLC is short, with only 1,000 to 3,000 cycles per unit, while the data read/write lifespan of MLC is longer, each unit is about 3,000 to 5,000. TLC will be more expressive than the full capacity of SLC and MLC drives but at the expense of relative durability.

Thus, the durability of TLC is lower than the MLC.

USAFRet

Titan
The read/write life cycle of TLC is short, with only 1,000 to 3,000 cycles per unit, while the data read/write lifespan of MLC is longer, each unit is about 3,000 to 5,000. TLC will be more expressive than the full capacity of SLC and MLC drives but at the expense of relative durability.
And how do those numbers relate to actual consumer use and TBW?

"1,000" is less than "3,000".
But if typical consumer use only rises to 200....so what?

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
And how do those numbers relate to actual consumer use and TBW?
i think it's more a matter of brands and manufacturers than Raw terminology ...
Corsair's got good SSD's they might show , 100% disk health in disk info software s but they face issues overtime even if they are not used
i got a Corsair and a Japanese brand (plextor)
the japanese one is better
tlc starts to die even if you don't use it , even if it's not on your PC . and laying off somewhere

Kingston A400 120 GB (Toshiba 15nm) specs:
https://www.techpowerup.com/ssd-specs/kingston-a400-120-gb.d286

Can you show us the rest of the SMART attributes. In CrystalDiskInfo you would select Edit -> Copy Options and tick all the boxes. Then select Edit -> Copy and type Ctrl-V to copy the clipboard into your next post. Use the "code" function to insert CDI's output into a code box to preserve its columnar formatting.