How Long to Wait to OC

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I have just built my very first computer with a 6400 and so far I like it. Bear in mind this is the first day my computer was working. I would like to know how long to wait before I try to OC. I believe my current cpu temp is about 45 degrees Celsius. Would that have any impact as to how soon I should begin to OC. I also have a scythe infinity cooler that I intended to use but it was so big it was almost touching the NB chip set and was even closer to touching my exhaust fan. Should I use it in an attempt to cool my cpu further?

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I also have a scythe infinity cooler that I intended to use but it was so big it was almost touching the NB chip set and was even closer to touching my exhaust fan.
'close' thats the key word. Use it anyways.

I would test it the system for stability and wait the 200 hours it takes for the thermal paste to burn in. After that youre all good to go.

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Should I put on the scythe now before the arctic silver I have starts acting as adhesive and its hard to take my pussy intel stock cooler off?

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
AS will never act as adhesive. Its not its purpose to be.
I would lap the Scythe and clean up the CPU, then add a new layer of paste and wait a week or so.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Use the Scythe cooler, you will be happy in the end.

I usually run Prime95 for 5-8 hours and turn the pc off for a few hours, and back on and back off for awhile again. Steady heat helps cure AS5, but cool down and heat up cures it even faster.

If you monitor temps, you shouldn't need a buffer time before OCing though.

I just like to run some benches to ensure the chip is 100% stable before voiding my warranty.

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Aside from Prime95 what is there to try. Also while playing games using the scythe (which I installed a few hours ago) I have been getting an average temperature of 66-67. Is this abnormally high? I just don't want to try something as grueling as Prime95 for as much as 8 hours to find that my cpu was fried because I did something wrong with the scythe and I had the equivalent of a Japanese fan cooling my cpu.

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Aside from prime95... I use TAT
set the workload level to 100%(default) and run it...
I find my machine is stable running prime95 all night at 3.8ghz
but reboots in 5 min running TAT.

another good test program is CPUBurn.