how long vga cable is possible

Hi there,

how long vga cable is possible without significant loss of signal and
loss of image quality?

I'm to send my pc box into exile 'cause I want not listen to its
noise...

- Gergely

Buday Gergely wrote:

> how long vga cable is possible without significant loss
> of signal and loss of image quality?

It depends on (in about this order):
* cable quality
* resolution (higher is tougher)
* refresh rate (ditto)
* card video amplifiers
* monitor

You can usually go 6 to 20 ft with retail cables.
Replace your entire short cable with a long one.

>From 20 to 180 ft, you need high-quality low-capacitance
75 ohm cables.

Beyond that (or maybe even below that, depending on
price), look at active extenders or even KVM over IP.

Fibre optic extenders also exist, but these are likely
way beyond your requirements.

Don't forget, you also need to extend your keyboard
and mouse ports, whether PS/2 or USB, and that can
be more of a challenge than remoting the graphics.

Beyond 10 feet in length you may begin to pick up interference.

--
DaveW

rjn wrote:

> Buday Gergely wrote:
>
>> how long vga cable is possible without significant loss
>> of signal and loss of image quality?
>
> It depends on (in about this order):
> * cable quality
> * resolution (higher is tougher)
> * refresh rate (ditto)
> * card video amplifiers
> * monitor
>
> You can usually go 6 to 20 ft with retail cables.
> Replace your entire short cable with a long one.
>
>>From 20 to 180 ft, you need high-quality low-capacitance
> 75 ohm cables.
>
> Beyond that (or maybe even below that, depending on
> price), look at active extenders or even KVM over IP.
>
> Fibre optic extenders also exist, but these are likely
> way beyond your requirements.
>
> Don't forget, you also need to extend your keyboard
> and mouse ports, whether PS/2 or USB, and that can
> be more of a challenge than remoting the graphics.

Personally I'd look at quieting the machine.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Dave W wrote:

> Beyond 10 feet in length you may begin to pick up interference

Using ordinary cable, sure. But if you break out the
RGBhv lines and send each via dedicated coax, like NTI
does with their "VEXT-RG11-xx"
<http://www.nti1.com/cable-custom.html>,
that's less likely.

I've not used their products, but they claim to be able
to hit 500 ft. passively with this construction.

And as I mentioned earlier, this is well beyond
the trivial extensions to PS/2 and USB. Hello keyboard.
Have you seen mouse?

NTI impairs their credibility by offering a passive USB
Style A m-to-f extension cable (in the "USBVEXT-3/6/10",
perhaps others). Violates standard. Not wise. I own such
a USB cable, and would never use it for any critical
application.

"Buday Gergely" <gergoe@math.bme.hu> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> how long vga cable is possible without significant loss of signal and loss
> of image quality?
>
> I'm to send my pc box into exile 'cause I want not listen to its noise...
>
> - Gergely

Look into a class of products loosely called "KVM" (Keyboard Video
Mouse).
They supposedly buffer the 3 connections, allowing the very thing you
desire. Can't
comment about loss of quality as I never actually tried any.
Speaking of video cables only, I've seen bad reflections on setups with
no more than
a typical 1.8 to 2 meter length - the video card and monitor impedances are
just as
important as the cable quality. If either of those are suspect, getting the
best cable in
the world will not fix it.