[SOLVED] How Long Will a Ryzen 5 2600 be able to Handle Modern Games?

Optiplex4G

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
I haven't been monitoring the CPU market for awhile now as my 2600 is (as of right now) still doing a fine job when it comes to handling games. However with the introduction of Intel's new i9 series and the possibility of 8k resolution monitors coming onto the market I'm wondering how long my 3 year old CPU will be able to handle Triple A games before starting to struggle.

Solution
I haven't been monitoring the CPU market for awhile now as my 2600 is (as of right now) still doing a fine job when it comes to handling games. However with the introduction of Intel's new i9 series and the possibility of 8k resolution monitors coming onto the market I'm wondering how long my 3 year old CPU will be able to handle Triple A games before starting to struggle.

That question is really impossible to answer. After all, it will handle the current AAA games as well as it does now for as long as it continues to function, that should be obvious.

Gaming performance depends far more on GPU power than CPU processing power. That's especially true with AAA games that benefit from higher resolutions, 1440p and 4k in...
D

Deleted member 362816

The higher the resolution the less the CPU matters in most games. I forsee a 2600 being ok for another 1-2 years at least as long as not at 1080p.

That question is really impossible to answer. After all, it will handle the current AAA games as well as it does now for as long as it continues to function, that should be obvious.

Gaming performance depends far more on GPU power than CPU processing power. That's especially true with AAA games that benefit from higher resolutions, 1440p and 4k in particular, and as well image improvements from things like ambient occlusion, tessellation, anti-aliasing and most recently ray tracing. Enabling those things at high or ultra settings and 4k resolutin bring all but the most powerful and capable GPU's to their knees with the CPU hardly utilized unless those settings are relaxed or, in some cases, completely disabled regardless of the CPU. So the question can only be answered by knowing and understanding what future gaming tech is coming that challenges CPU's to the point currently viable processors can't function effectively.

Last edited:
Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
While I'm not much of a gamer, my old I5-760 (1st Core I-Series). could handle everything I threw at it until I tried VR. The ONLY reason I updated to my current Ryzen 5 2600 was for dipping my toe into VR. I'd say your current is probably good for several years (more if you don't mind turning down settings).

-Wolf sends

While I'm not much of a gamer, my old I5-760 (1st Core I-Series). could handle everything I threw at it until I tried VR. The ONLY reason I updated to my current Ryzen 5 2600 was for dipping my toe into VR. I'd say your current is probably good for several years (more if you don't mind turning down settings).

-Wolf sends

First generation intel (Lynnfield) is still fine, but with i3 and i5 there can be problems with VR. If you still have the old system upgrading to xeon, for example x3470 (4 core 8 thread) makes it still a good choice. Westmere architechture (first generation too) is even better even when its more than decade old, these where the first 6 core 12 thread processors.

Currently i have two systems both for gaming:

• Lynnfield x3470 (4core 8 thread) overclocked to 4.3ghz with 980ti and 16gb ddr3 ram running at 2400mhz CL9
  • Westmere x5675 (6core 8 thread) overclocked to 4.4ghz with gtx 670 and 16gb ddr3 ram running at 1866mhz CL8

I have no problems running csgo at 300fps 1080p, compared to alot newer ddr4 systems i feel like mine runs even smoother, ddr3 is very underrated since you can get VERY low timings.
Only issue is that these need good cooling solution, after that you can apply alot more voltage on 32nm / 45nm chips than the newer generations (14nm or less)

TRENDING THREADS