How long will my i5-3570k last me before becoming obsolete?

NerdBBQ

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
I will be using it for gaming and maybe a little video editing, how long will it last me before becoming obsolete? Should I have waited for the 2011 socket, or maybe even gone with an AM3+ and FX? In my opinion it will become obsolete when I can no longer play games at Med/High MAYBE low settings with a HD 8850 (Next generation AMD graphics card). Thanks!

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Dude, don't be crazy. The 3570K will last you years before going obsolete. Trust me. You only go 2011 if you need extreme video editing performance, and you only go AM3+ if you want a not as good processor. :3 You'll probably be fine for the next 4 years when it comes to gaming, unless there's a giant shift in game development.

NerdBBQ

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Thanks for the responses, and one last question. How much will I be able to overclock this (if at all) using an AsRock Pro3 Z77 and a Corsair CX430 PSU? I will be pairing this with a HD 8850 which has about the same power consumption as the 7850, if that helps at all. In the next year or so I'll probably be getting a new power supply and a HSF, but just wondering if I could do any overclocking atm.

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
You're 100% wrong, if you look at AMD's site, there's a 500W requirement for the 7850 GPU, plus you also have to consider overclocking, hard drives, fans, all this stuff. Your 430W PSU doesn't make the cut.

Like every generation it only remains relevant until its successor, which means in theory that part is only relevant for a few more months. However its utility will last for a good while yet only slower than the newer parts. Such is the life of technology.

NerdBBQ

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Ok, I presume it'll be about 3-5 years until an upgrade. I am pretty stingy about FPS so I close anything I don't need when playing games. And the reason AMD lists a 500w PSU is because (I think) they don't want to get sued or anything by people who use, for example, a 400w with a mega superclocked i7 at 10.0 ghz and everything fries, they might get angry at AMD. Just my thoughts. As for video editing, obsolete is when it takes 1 hour to render a 1-2 minute MPEG2 file (I have low standards because I'm running on a Gateway laptop from '09).

TRENDING THREADS