[SOLVED] how long will windows 20h2/future builds be supported with basic gpu drivers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
im worried eventfully Microsoft will do something I don't like or drop support for a program(just look at securerom and safedisk for example.) I hoard the isos in case this happens so i can always run dual boot/a vm and install an old version and never let it touch the internet or call home to update and use the vm to run offline programs. how long will current windows builds get basic gpu drivers? will future nvidia/amd drivers for future gpus work on the current windows build, the kernel is the same so I would assume they would install? and which brand(amd or nvidia) has better legacy support?

Solution
will future nvidia/amd drivers for future gpus work on the current windows build, the kernel is the same so I would assume they would install?
That is more a question for the hardware makers, windows will support the drivers provided they are supplied to Microsoft. Most Hardware makers don't support their stuff forever, that is the problem, its got nothing to do with windows. Some driver makers specify version numbers of windows 10 that their drivers won't work below, that has nothing to do with Microsoft.
Obviously I can't see into future

and which brand(amd or nvidia) has better legacy support?

Choosing between AMD & Nvidia for legacy support is tough. You better just choosing a driver number that works now and...

Colif

Win 11 Master
So no singleplager games have any ring 0 stuff?
I actually don't know, its possible in the past they did, it depends how old the games are. Most of them were to force you to use a particular CD and many games in the last 10 years haven't been tied to a physical install media. I haven't taken much notice mainly as i stopped finding games I wanted to play. Most of the games I play are on Steam so its all sorted out behind scenes.

And what horrible things did they do to the optical drive?
Details are sketchy, but people did report optical drive issues with StarForce.

I don't care for online games anyway, I play singleplager games 99.9 percent of the time nowadays. So no singleplager games have any ring 0 stuff? I don't care if my multiplayer games I will never play again get nuked, but if anything happens to my precious singleplager rpgs...
The best telltale sign an app wants higher level access (possibly ring 0) is it triggers the UAC prompt every time you run it. A game should never ask for admin privileges.