[SOLVED] How long would a QLC Last when used for Video editing on a daily basis?

nabilelmjati

Commendable
Jun 27, 2018
So, i got an Intel 660 QLC SSD with 2TB. I did not know that QLC are not ideal, but i have been using the drive for video editing for a bout a year now. I am very happy with the performance. Now that after having an error on windows 10 accessing the disk once (kept saying ms dos function error), an issue solved after soft reboot (all tests suggest disk is fine, and could have been a windows issue, it was pending an update restart) I started to wonder how long can this drive last using it for video editing about 4 to 6 hours a day.

Solution
So, i got an Intel 660 QLC SSD with 2TB. I did not know that QLC are not ideal, but i have been using the drive for video editing for a bout a year now. I am very happy with the performance. Now that after having an error on windows 10 accessing the disk once (kept saying ms dos function error), an issue solved after soft reboot (all tests suggest disk is fine, and could have been a windows issue, it was pending an update restart) I started to wonder how long can this drive last using it for video editing about 4 to 6 hours a day.
From the Tom's review -- https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-ssd-660p-qlc-nvme,5719.html the spec for that drive is 400TB written. Look at the SMART stats for the drive. It should tell...

kanewolf

Titan
From the Tom's review -- https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-ssd-660p-qlc-nvme,5719.html the spec for that drive is 400TB written. Look at the SMART stats for the drive. It should tell you how much you have written in a year. Divide that by 400TB an you have your answer.

Solution

nabilelmjati

Commendable
Jun 27, 2018
You likely have even more than that. Intel's QLC is floating gate not charge trap which has better endurance, the 64L QLC in the 660p is actually rated for up to 1000 P/E. Given typical write amplification that's likely good for 1PB or more.

TRENDING THREADS