sphenoa

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I want my system to be quiet as possible but if I plan on SLI cards, will that make a loud noise?

and will mid tower case be sufficient to hold SLI cards or is it better to go to full tower case?

Mid tower is usually fine for SLI cards, depends on what this mystery case and mystery video cards are.

One video card can be very loud if the fans running high, so two cards would be twice as loud.

You can use software to lower the fan speed when your not using the cards for gaming, then it would be very quiet. If your gaming, who cares how loud they are, your going to have the speakers on anyways right?

rvilkman

Distinguished
The noise does add up and usually the heat inside your case will get worse with 2 cards so the fans spin faster -> thus more noise.

A mid tower case will hold SLI just fine, but just make sure there is plenty of ventilation in the case. And that the cards don't block the airflow completely.
Arguably the best cases for SLI airflow and sound are the Silverstone RV02/RV03 and Silverstone FT02. They have the video cards facing up so the hot air can get out.
They are also a bit pricy. But many midtower cases in the $50-$70 range can handle a SLI setup just fine: HAF912 and Antec 300 for example.

finn281175

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
well....it will be twice as noisy as one with a single gpu! seriously though it depends entirely on the cards. some have bigger/smaller/quieter/louder fans than others. and you always have the option of buying a couple of aftermarket coolers. as for size of case, again depends on the gpu's your gonna get. check the specs & dimensions before you buy. but a bigger tower case always gives you extra room if needed for future upgrades....

I think twice as loud is an exaggeration. I'm sorry i don't mean to sound like a douche but i studied acoustics and 2 sounds at the same volume doesn't equal twice the volume, it will just be a little bit louder. So having one silent card and one loud card will be way louder than 2 regular cards.

finn281175

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Useful information though jmsellars1. Im sure lots of people wouldnt actually realise that. If i wasnt into music production i wouldnt have had a clue! A larger case doesnt necessarily mean better airflow sphenoa. case design can make a big difference. if you want your system to be as quiet as possible have you thought about liquid cooling?