[SOLVED] How low will i9-9900k price get?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I currently have a Z390 motherboard and I'm thinking about upgrading my i5-9600k to the i9-9900k that should do me fine for at least another couple of years.

I can grab one now for $430, which is a pretty good price. I'm thinking that the price may go lower in the coming months due to the 10 series recent release.

What do you guys think?

Solution
Well to be fair, the 9900k has dropped almost $100, and pretty recently, but you are correct about the FX, that bombed hundreds of $ in its first year. But performance wise, the 9590 was also king of the amd hill for many years, a large OC 8350/8370 came close, but couldn't beat it, IF you could tame it. Most couldn't and had to downclock into the 8 series OC range.

Right now, the cheaper 10600k is only a few fps behind, the 10700k tops it. And that's not including the bump upto the 10900k family. When 11th gen drops, it should be surpassed by the 11600k-11900k, putting it in 7th place, barely ahead of 8th and 9th place 10600k - 9700k. That's a sizable drop for a flagship in just 2 generations, not even the 4790k dropped as far vs the...

InvalidError

Titan
Upgrading now, sure, I can see that, plenty of impulse buyers dumping the 9900k in favor of a 10900k, but in 5 years? Doubtful. They'll be a dime a dozen.
If they do end up "a dime a dozen" then they'll be all the more an enticing upgrade for people who already own a suitable platform - doesn't make sense to upgrade your whole platform if you can get most of the performance from a cost-effective CPU-only upgrade.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
for people who already own a suitable platform
That's just my point. Most don't. Granted the 9900k will work on some of the mid grade boards, but honestly you really need a board with 4+4+4 eps and upgraded psu with 2x 4+4 eps or you'll not be getting much over stock values. No locked core 5.0GHz OC unless you get a golden chip.

And ppl with lga1151 v2 mobo's didn't opt for top shelf with a 9400f chaser, if they even got a Z in the first place. For those who did go for Z, it wasn't a ASR pro4, it was something decent and already opted for a 9700k/9900k unless they went cheap for the 9600k, and then it was the budget Z's.

It's a niche cpu. If you don't have the supporting equipment, no point in the upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: digitalgriffin

InvalidError

Titan
but honestly you really need a board with 4+4+4 eps and upgraded psu with 2x 4+4 eps or you'll not be getting much over stock values.
For most people who got a lower-end 300-series motherboard and an i3/i5, stock 9900k is likely more than good enough if the price is right. I know I don't give a flying F about overclocking in any way, shape or form.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Lol. True 👍, the 9900k as is is a beast of a cpu, and honestly does just fine without any real need to OC, but like my old i5-3570k, I did nothing but bump the turbo multiplier to 43, locked all 4 cores, dropped stock voltages from @ 1.25v to 1.108v and consequently lost almost 20°C in the process over the stock temps in P95. That was a win in my book any day, regardless of any performance gains. I know I was a lot happier with the cpu cooler fan volume under gaming loads.

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
9900k today is a really poor purchase. Not because it is a bad CPU - in fact, it's a great CPU. The problem is, you can buy a new z490 with 10700k for not much more. Those who buy a 9900k with a Z370/90 as a new system NOW - well - may God have mercy on your soul.

I think they'll start soon. With the price droppage of 10th Gen to put Intel back in competition with Amd, you can pick up a 6/12 10600k for less than $300. Ppl will balk at spending $300 for a used 4/8 8700k (new is closer to $400) and an 8/8 9700k is $370.

And that'll trickle all the way down to 3rd gen pricing on ebay where i7-3770K is already down to @ $100ish.

The price really came down on those used ones! Obviously they are all used. The "new" ones if you could find them were $300. But yeah for competition and advancement!

The question is if there is a good motherboard with good caps still on it and the chip doesn't suffer from electron migration issues from being overclocked.

9900k today is a really poor purchase. Not because it is a bad CPU - in fact, it's a great CPU. The problem is, you can buy a new z490 with 10700k for not much more. Those who buy a 9900k with a Z370/90 as a new system NOW - well - may God have mercy on your soul.
I already have a Z390 motherboard and would be upgrading from an i5-9600k. Yes, if building a new system, the 10700k would be the way to go.

Jul 12, 2020
Why would the old CPU prices be lower? They are not made anymore, so the supply is limited to what vendors or Intel (for RMA) stored. if they were popular at time of release, they will be (relatively) popular when old.

I assume once a new CPU generation is released, Intel will convert all their fabs one after the other to the new technology. How long they keep the old ones around depends on the production cost. In case of Intel where they stay at 14nm, I assume the new CPUs are not cheaper to produce. So they may make the old generation for a bit longer (for the lower level Dell etc.). In case of an actual improvement in technology (smaller die size etc.) the production cost of new CPU may actually be lower. that woudl shorten the time they make old ones.

What you can buy now for the old generations is what was stored somewhere in the distribution channel. That is way out of Intel's hands at this point. The market of DIY PCs is already small. the market for DIY PC that get a new CPU on a 5 year old mobo, is even smaller. This isn't even a rounding error for Intel or AMD.

I bought my i7700K the day it was released for $350. Now seeing the used prices, I'm tempted to sell it and use the same money to get an 3600 + board for the same amount they sell for. I have no idea why someone would keep an old mobo and pay huge prices for a (today) inefficient CPU while they could get a mobo + CPU for less and have more performance. What, today I buy that expensive old CPU, and next week my 5 year old mobo dies?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI.
My cooler will be a Noctua nh-d15.
I haven't decided yet if I'm going to overclock.
Fortunately, the motherboard isn't a piece of crap like some of the other cheaper Z390s.
NH-D15 isn't quite there for pushing a high overclock - 5.0ghz - on that cpu. It needs a performance 360mm - avoid the silent 360mm, they are worse than performance 280mm.
280mm? Well, depending on your chassis and hardware setup, that could be a little better or worse than the D15.
My 7820X with a 4.5ghz OC - I forgot if I had the cache at stock or 3.0ghz at the time - run through Prime 95, small fft, AVX disabled, was recorded by hwinfo pushing 270w maximum.
That was with an NH-D15S with 2x NF-A15s on it, and it still saw over 90C. It didn't throttle, but still... it doesn't run quite as hot with Cinebench R20 infinite loop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233395756860

This was the best cpu when it came out, and a staple of many for several years. Comparatively it cost about the same as the 9900k at release.

So you figure out just how much a 9900k will drop.

Perhaps 10 years from now, it will be $25...

But as the 9900K is near the 'end of the road'/last stop for Z390 boards, I suspect it will hover between $400 and $500 for 3-5 years...