[SOLVED] How many aRGB fans to mobo via hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2020
I don't know how many aRGB fans can I connect to a 3-pin header on a mobo via fan hub? The hub is connected to the PSU via sata cable so I don't know if that is where the fans will get the power from or from the 3-pin header of the mobo.

Mobo: Gigabyte b450 aorus pro wifi
casing: Gamdias Talos M1 Lite

Solution
It's realistically a 4pin for Argb, the 3rd pin is blocked off. You'll have power + ground, skip, signal. With argb there's always power to the chip, it never changes, the signal tells the chip how to deal with the led.

RGB is backwards. That does matter as there's only 1 chip, on the motherboard. So it has to deal with every light in the circuit, which is why argb can do rainbow (seperate chips, seperate leds) and rgb cannot as it's all one circuit.

As long as the voltage of the fan leds is the same as the voltage at the hub, you are good for 6 fans easily.
Jun 16, 2020
I believe 4 is about max, depends on the power draw. After that get hub.
hi. Thank you for the reply. I already have a hub but I don't know if the fans will get the power from the hub or the mobo? The hub is connected via sata cable to the psu so I'm guessing it's the hub that will power the fans and the 3-pin connection to the mobo is just for syncing but I'm not sure :(

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
72 fans for argb lighting ±

ARGB works almost identical to pwm. You supply enough power to the hub by the molex, it's a constant voltage. Each led (or series of maybe 3 leds) has its own controller chip for the addressing, pwm signal if you like. You are limited only by the strength of that signal, not the amount of fans. RGB is synonymous with a DC fan system, it's amperage controlled by the header, so not powered by external source. Those that are, by large command hubs that are powered are usually limited to @ 6 or 8 fans because of amperage tolerances.

With ARGB, you don't even need hubs, you can use 4way powered splitter, master to 4way powered splitter, master..... And so on, each splitter powering 3 fans, the master carrying the signal to the next splitter. You just need enough power connections to do the job.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
I'm sorry, I am not that technical but I just want to know if I can connect 6 fans via hub, which is connected to PSU via SATA cable, to the mobo's 3pin d-led header? My worry is the amperage of the six fans since it is more than what the d-led 3pin header on the mobo can support. I don't know whether the fans will be powered by the hub via psu or if they will be powered through mobo d-led.
So, can I connect six fans via hub to the d-led header on the mobo and not fry mobo :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's realistically a 4pin for Argb, the 3rd pin is blocked off. You'll have power + ground, skip, signal. With argb there's always power to the chip, it never changes, the signal tells the chip how to deal with the led.

RGB is backwards. That does matter as there's only 1 chip, on the motherboard. So it has to deal with every light in the circuit, which is why argb can do rainbow (seperate chips, seperate leds) and rgb cannot as it's all one circuit.

As long as the voltage of the fan leds is the same as the voltage at the hub, you are good for 6 fans easily.

Solution
Jun 16, 2020

once again, thank you. You really helped me out

Jun 16, 2020
I read that most aRGB headers have up to 3 watt handling capacity which equates to about 120 led lights.
The mobo manufacturers actully post specs for the headers in the manual. I think it's 3A not 3W. So it's 15W. The way I calculated it you can connect 3 argb fans via splitter to one argb header and one pwm and still have a little watage room. More than three fans, now I know from your comments :), you need a hub since it will be providing the power through psu.
Thank you Garett

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts