[SOLVED] How many case fans?

Jul 5, 2022
I'm building a pc and i will have the dark rock pro 4 in a CoolerMaster Masterbox MB530P gaming midi case. I don't know anything about pc building and I want help with how many case fans I should use. The box supports 2 front, 1 back and 2 upper fans. The dark rock says it has the capacity to support one more fan. What does this mean? Is this an extra fan or not? Will it fit? Also im thinking of getting pure wings 2 140mm fans. Does it have anything to do that they are 140 and not 120mm? Do they always fit on the box? Pls help😅

Solution
The box supports 2 front, 1 back and 2 upper fans.
It has preinstalled 3 (not 2) front and 1 rear fans.
This is plenty of cooling.
Unless you have some extra power hungry components inside (you didn't list BTW), there's no need to add any extra case fans.

mb530pargb-gallery-2-image.png
The pictures I have seen of the Dark Rock Pro 4 show that it has 2 fans from the factory. The manual says it has a 135 mm fan and a 120 mm fan.

I'd start with 2 fans in front of the case and 1 exhaust out the back.

Total of 5 fans.

If I was then not satisfied with temps, I'd add fans to the top. I wouldn't buy them until i tested without them, but suit yourself.

You will have to experiment. You might be bothered by noise. You might find that the 6th or 7th fan help......or not. Can't predict very well.

Some case fan mounts will accept 120 mm fans only. Some will accept both 120 mm and 140 mm. You need to read your case manual to find out that detail.

Reactions: Bill k.
Download a good monitoring program like HWInfo 64.

It will tell you all sorts of good stuff like fan speeds; CPU speed, drive temps, watts, voltages, and a lot more.

Put it on your current PC if you don't have it already...so you can get a feel for what it does and what is semi-normal.

You can't really tell what noise levels will be in advance. With any luck, all of your fans will be 4 pin PWM and could be speed-controlled in the BIOS.

Fans generally become audible at 3 or 4 feet as you creep above 1000 rpm. Some more than others. Generally...use 140 mm rather than 120 mm if budget allows.

Reactions: Bill k.
Jul 5, 2022
Download a good monitoring program like HWInfo 64.

It will tell you all sorts of good stuff like fan speeds; CPU speed, drive temps, watts, voltages, and a lot more.

Put it on your current PC if you don't have it already...so you can get a feel for what it does and what is semi-normal.

You can't really tell what noise levels will be in advance. With any luck, all of your fans will be 4 pin PWM and could be speed-controlled in the BIOS.

Fans generally become audible at 3 or 4 feet as you creep above 1000 rpm. Some more than others. Generally...use 140 mm rather than 120 mm if budget allows.
Thanks a lot man!!