How many case fans?

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Simple question. Can one achieve adequate case cooling with the standard 2 case fans (i.e. 1 80mm intake, 1 60mm exhaust)? Why or why not?

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
That all depends on whether or not you plan to overclock ?
If not, and assuming you have a desktop, minitower, or midtower case, then you could probably get away with it just fine.

If you have a full tower and an AMD based system, and you want to overclock it, no way. You'd need a good HS/F and some additional cooling mods,or your pc will also perform some illegal functions and be shut down.

"This was no boating accident"

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
How about if I don't plan to o/c, have a midtower, and have an AMD based system.

<b>"If you have a full tower and an AMD based system, and you want to overclock it, no way."</b>

I only meet one of the criteria that you state would cause me to need more than the standard setup of fans, so am I correct in thinking that I'm in ok (though not great) shape?

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
I work at a major electronics chain as a tech ( I don't want to say which one as many people don't care for us much =) ) and all the athlon systems we sell come with two case fans. They're both usually 80 mm. This is in addition to the PSU fan of course. So I guess if that's enough for all the major PC vendors, it's probably enough for you too since you won't be overclocking. Just monitor your temps. If your case temp gets alot above your ambient temp, it's time to add more case cooling.

That oughta void your warrenty!

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Yes.
I have a single intake and single exhaust fan. Motherboard temp ranges from 22-24 celcius. I also have a stock HSF on my 1.0ghz @ 1.4ghz with temps of 45-56 celcius.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
lamer_gamer,

Your right in assuming your setup should be ok. You may even be able to do some very mild overclocking if you have or get a good HS/F for your cpu. Are you using Motherboard Monitor to keep an eye on your temps ? If not, get it.

Here:http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

"This was no boating accident"

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Maybe my computer room is warmer than yours. I have my ac set at 78F (?C). Case temp is at 28-31C (approx. 83 or 84F I think). I have a Volcano II hsf on my 1.2 T-bird (non o/c'd) with Radio Shack thermal compound, and my cpu temp is never under 52C after it's been up and running for a while. I don't understand how you can be using a stock hsf and get such good temps, unless the V2 isn't as good as your stock hsf. I'm using MBM5 to monitor temps. Oh, well. I've ordered AS II, a Delta 7K rpm fan, and an Evercool fan, and they should be here this week. I'll play around a bit and see what my temps look like with various configurations. At least I'm below 60C after playing games for a while (that's the biggest load I put on my computer), so for the most part, I guess I'm doing all right. Like I said, though, I can't help but notice that others here with similar setups get much better cooling results than I do. I really don't get it...

TRENDING THREADS