How Many CPUs you need?

G

I want to build a webserver for a small home office, (very small)hosting fewer than 5 sites, may expand later.

Is it better to have more than one CPU?

All help/advice/relevant opinions appreciated.

thanks,

Lynne

G

Well........depends what will be on the sites. What I mean is that if you are going to have basically static HTML pages, and very little or no Dynamic stuff, such as PHP or mySQL, or stuff like that.

I have a P-150 Non MMX, and 64MB of RAM, and I am running 3 sites that have static pages, the sites are accessed quite a bit. One is an internal network IMAP server for e-mails (that has a fair bit of dynamic stuff), and the other 2 are plain jane homepages for my family members.

The IMAP server is hit a lot, At least 2000 views a day, and the 2 homepages are hit maybe 50 a day or 100 a day for the both of them.

There are times when the hard disk chugs, but honestly.......it's not really that bad.

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I am running linux.

So bottom line is......

Get at least an AMD K6-2 450 and 128MB of RAM and any 7200RPM hard disk, and I am sure that it will have more than enough power for your use.

G

a dual processor system will suffice, as long as you realize that it requires either winnt4 W/multiprocessor kernel, or linux / unix os with multiprocessor support, ie: mandrake 7, redhat 6.0, suse, etc.
The most cost effective, reliable, mb's I have ran across so far is Tyan "Tiger" II's ,slot 1 using MMX pentium II or III's 266mhz up to 333mhz RETAIL package with a L2 of 512kb, not some half baked OEM celeron "system pull".
TYAN dual mb's have a built in seperate VRE's for both processors (not some cheesy add in, hard to find, VRE module that will send you on the Net search from hell!).

"why buy when you can register?"