[SOLVED] how many ddr4 equals to 12gb ddr3

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
I have 12 gig ram 12.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (8-7-7-20) corsaire dominator cmp12gx3m3a1600c9 999-24 1,65 ver 2,12a 12gb 3x4gb 1600mhz

how many ddr4 would do same performance approximatley
tx

Solution
It's the same. 4GB of DDR3 is the same as 4GB of DDR4. There is no difference in capacity. In terms of speed, you can't make a comparison in that way. There are many variables including frequency, bandwidth, latency, the architecture as a whole. It's really not comparable, more like apples to oranges.

Having 12GB is really only beneficial if you have a triple channel architecture and that is not common these days. Most consumer systems will be dual channel. Most HEDT or enterprise platforms will likely be quad channel.

If you plan on upgrading to a consumer platform, then it would be wise to stick to a 2 x8GB, 2 x16GB, 2 x32gb or whatever capacity you require. What memory to target will depend entirely on what platform and exactly...
It's the same. 4GB of DDR3 is the same as 4GB of DDR4. There is no difference in capacity. In terms of speed, you can't make a comparison in that way. There are many variables including frequency, bandwidth, latency, the architecture as a whole. It's really not comparable, more like apples to oranges.

Having 12GB is really only beneficial if you have a triple channel architecture and that is not common these days. Most consumer systems will be dual channel. Most HEDT or enterprise platforms will likely be quad channel.

If you plan on upgrading to a consumer platform, then it would be wise to stick to a 2 x8GB, 2 x16GB, 2 x32gb or whatever capacity you require. What memory to target will depend entirely on what platform and exactly what CPU and motherboard you decide to go with.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Triple channel boards havent been used since lga775/1366. The biggest difference there was the way it was set up. Dual/quad channel boards run the ram parallel, so if you had 2x4Gb sticks, it'd use the first little bit of ram on both sticks simultaneously. Triple channel lga775 ran in series. If you have 3x4Gb, then soon as the first 4 Gb is used, it cascades to the next.4Gb...

Co.mon flaw with true triple channel, one of the reasons it wax discontinued.

Most ppl who use 3 sticks are not actually in triple channel. They are in Flex channel. That would use #2/#4 in dual channel, the stick in #3 gets used If the application could use more than the dual channel could supply, and be single channel.

Actually, most boards that support Quad channel also support Triple channel, but it just doesn't make much sense to run them that way plus there are really no manufacturers selling three DIMM kits, and haven't been for a long time, so you either buy a four DIMM kit and don't use one stick, use all four sticks and have some extra running hopefully in FLEX mode, or buy three separate sticks to run together and hope they will play nice, none of the three options is very much recommended. Better to simply run quad channel with a four DIMM kit, or stick to a consumer platform and run pairs or quads in dual channel.

Most, and probably all, X79, X99 and X299 motherboards support dual, triple and quad channel operation depending on the population and number of DIMMs installed.

For AMD HEDT and server products, I'm pretty sure it's somewhat similar but I haven't worked with anything on the higher end AMD platforms for quite a long time. Regardless, it's probably not relevant to this conversation anyhow unless the OP is planning to spend several thousand dollars and I don't think that is likely.

And, Jaquith, who was probably one of the top three people EVER on this forum when it came to memory, as well as what I know from past work and a quick check to make sure I'm right, seems to indicate that there is not and has never been an LGA 775 supported chipset that had triple channel memory support. Dual and quad channel only.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...r3-core-2-duo-motherboard.423055/post-4007873