Question How many fans can be planted on 1 argb 3 pin connector.

Oct 21, 2022
How many fans can be planted on 1 argb 3 pin connector. On the motherboard it is only 1, cooler 4: 140x25,120x15,120x15,92x15. The most convenient way is to plant it through the splitter directly from the 3 pin aura rgb connector. I have 3 questions at the moment.
1 - How much approximately in total will they eat, will I overload the connector and burn the motherboard actually ...?
2 - By the way, there is also a 4 pin pwm cable on these coolers, if you connect it, it somehow halves the power between 2 ports or only gives the fan speed control function?
3 - Without connecting the 4 pin connector itself, only when 3 pin is connected, the cooler will work, but only at max power, do I understand correctly?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
An argb header can support addressing upto @ 72 leds. So there will be a difference in the amount of fans depending on the amount of leds per fan. A 13 led fan, looking at 5. A 9 led fan is closer to 8. But thats only the led lighting, you also have to take into consideration the fan itself, which is a seperate entity. Most fan headers are a minimum of 0.8A but generally are rated at 1A, which means for most modern pwm fans 4 possibly 5 at most depending on the fan. It's generally accepted that use of a powered splitter for 3 or more fans is healthier, the max is @ 10 fans supported by the pwm signal.

So with the right fans, and the right setup of them, you could do 8 fans controlled and lit, but more normally ppl run 5 maybe 6 per argb header/pwm setup.

An led fan is 2 things, a lighting strip that's glued to a fan. Argb is 5v and the fan is 12v, which is why they have 2 independent wires, one 4pin pwm for the fan and one 3pin argb. To make the fan spin requires the 4pin, to light the fan takes the 3pin argb. You can use only 1 wire, but either the fan won't spin or the leds won't light, depending on which wire you didn't hook up.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022
An argb header can support addressing upto @ 72 leds. So there will be a difference in the amount of fans depending on the amount of leds per fan. A 13 led fan, looking at 5. A 9 led fan is closer to 8. But thats only the led lighting, you also have to take into consideration the fan itself, which is a seperate entity. Most fan headers are a minimum of 0.8A but generally are rated at 1A, which means for most modern pwm fans 4 possibly 5 at most depending on the fan. It's generally accepted that use of a powered splitter for 3 or more fans is healthier, the max is @ 10 fans supported by the pwm signal.

So with the right fans, and the right setup of them, you could do 8 fans controlled and lit, but more normally ppl run 5 maybe 6 per argb header/pwm setup.

An led fan is 2 things, a lighting strip that's glued to a fan. Argb is 5v and the fan is 12v, which is why they have 2 independent wires, one 4pin pwm for the fan and one 3pin argb. To make the fan spin requires the 4pin, to light the fan takes the 3pin argb. You can use only 1 wire, but either the fan won't spin or the leds won't light, depending on which wire you didn't hook up.

thanks for the reply. sorry, but I'm communicating through a translator, so I didn't quite understand what you mean. if it's not too much trouble, could you clarify. Is it permissible to connect 4 3 pin fans to 1 arbg connector and, accordingly, 4 fans to the 4 pin pwm connector? I just have only 1 3pin connector and 1 4 pin connector on the motherboard. the power will not exceed 1 ampere? in addition, they are not all the same, 1 -92mm, 2-120mm, 1 140mm. I understand that it is more correct to do this through the hub, but I have a small case and there will be a lot of wires + hub, which is undesirable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Argb fan = 12v fan with 5v light strip glued to it. Fan = 4pin PWM. Light strip = 3pin Argb.

Max leds = 72 on 1 Argb. So if light strip = 10 leds, max light strips = 7, light strip = 13 leds then 5.

PWM header = 1Amp. Most fans = 0.15-0.3Amp. Max fans per header, no extra power = 3-5.
Max fans with powered splitter = 10

Max possible fans = 10
Max possible lights = about 5-10

So max argb fans =?, depends on how many leds in each fan, but only 10 or less.

Size of the fan is irrelevant. Only Amperage matters. 1Amp = 12w. The rating will be on the back of the fan or on the package, either Amps or Watts. Total wattage or total amperage is void, that includes fan and lights, you want only fan amps or fan watts.

TRENDING THREADS