[SOLVED] How many fans can I connect to my motherboard ?

Jun 8, 2021
I just ordered a Phanteks Eclipse 360a case with an extra fan that's the same as the cases' but im using a b450m ds3h motherboard and im not sure if I can connect all of those fans RGB fans to my motherboard. I checked the manual but I honestly cant make out much from it except the sys fan and cpu_led. Out of the 2 case rgb fans and 1 extra how many can i connect and if all how many would light up?

Solution
What is your objective?
The motherboard specs say you have 1 cpu fan header, and one system fan header:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-V2-rev-10/sp#sp
What processor will you use?
It is probably best to use the cpu fan header by itself to control processor cooling.

For case fans, you can probably use a splitter to connect up to three normal fans to the motherboard.
All will be controlled identically.

You can add as many fans as you want via molex connectors from the psu, but they will run at full speeds.

If you are intent on a RGB light show, you can always add a fan controller that is powered by direct connection to the psu.

If the objective is to use many fans for cooling, that is another matter.
How you...
Jun 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The motherboard has a 12v RGB header while the fans you own in the case needs a 5v header, you're advised to work with an RGB hub like this/ or with a motherboard that has a DRGB header.
Does a 1-3 splitter do the job or are those my only options, also the way I am now can i connect 1 fan to the sys fan and the other to the rgb header, would the 2 work except the 1 wouldnt be lighting or would it not work at all?

What is your objective?
The motherboard specs say you have 1 cpu fan header, and one system fan header:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-V2-rev-10/sp#sp
What processor will you use?
It is probably best to use the cpu fan header by itself to control processor cooling.

For case fans, you can probably use a splitter to connect up to three normal fans to the motherboard.
All will be controlled identically.

You can add as many fans as you want via molex connectors from the psu, but they will run at full speeds.

If you are intent on a RGB light show, you can always add a fan controller that is powered by direct connection to the psu.

If the objective is to use many fans for cooling, that is another matter.
How you accomplish that will be determined by the cpu cooler you install.

The case is a decent one for air cooling.

Solution