[SOLVED] How many fans do I need for an i7-8700k?

Apr 14, 2020
Solution
Hello, I am looking to upgrade my CPU from an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 to an i7-8700k. I have a small case (the Thermaltake Core V21) (https://www.newegg.com/black-thermaltake-core-v21-extreme-micro-atx-cube-chassis/p/N82E16811133274 ) and I don't think it can hold many coolers/fans. There isn't a lot of space overall inside the case. My question is, how many fans do I need if I'm not planning to overclock? I'd also like to mention that I have a GTX 1070 ti.

For that case, some recommendations:

1. It can hold 140mm fans. Use them if you have the room, as they will generally be quieter for your usage. You will likely need some moderate speed fans.

2. Use your fans so that some pull into the case, others push air out...

4745454b

Titan
Why are you changing over? If you are mostly gaming there is little reason to go from a 6C/12T CPU to a 4C/8T CPU. I would save the money on the new CPU and board and just OC your 2600 if you need more CPU power.

There isn't a magic answer to this question. No one can come in and say you need 3 or 6 fans and know. Not only do we not know the ambient temp in the room you are playing, "fans" is a rather vague thing. Your case holds 120 or 140mm fans. Which size? How fast do they spin? CFM? Static pressure? There is no way to answer what you are asking.

Apr 15, 2020
Hello, I am looking to upgrade my CPU from an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 to an i7-8700k. I have a small case (the Thermaltake Core V21) (https://www.newegg.com/black-thermaltake-core-v21-extreme-micro-atx-cube-chassis/p/N82E16811133274 ) and I don't think it can hold many coolers/fans. There isn't a lot of space overall inside the case. My question is, how many fans do I need if I'm not planning to overclock? I'd also like to mention that I have a GTX 1070 ti.
If it where me id take that money and get a better and bigger case. In my experience compact cases are going to net you higher temps. Intel runs hotter than amd as well so i would stick with amd and just get a ryzen 7 of some sort if you where determined to upgrade cpu. Most of the good cpu coolers need ALOT of room so you are very limited with that case.

For that case, some recommendations:

1. It can hold 140mm fans. Use them if you have the room, as they will generally be quieter for your usage. You will likely need some moderate speed fans.

2. Use your fans so that some pull into the case, others push air out. General recommendation is to pull air in the front and the bottom, and push it out the top and the back side.

3. For your I7 8700k, you will want a good air cooler for it, with 6(Or more) heat pipes if you can. That case can hold any air cooler, and it could even hold a 240/280mm AIO water cooling setup as well.

Solution