How many fans should I need?

DanDaDog

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
Hi guys, almost finishing my PC build and the only component I need left is a fan.

The case I bought already had 3 fans at the front of the case and I was wondering if I should get a Hyper 212 as my fourth fan or do I need to get one extra more to create positive airflow? Since my CPU is an i5 6600k and they don't come with a fan...

Solution
you seem confused.

You NEED a heatsink, this is not optional, it needs a fan this is also not optional.

Personally I'd move one of the front fans to the rear and leave it intake at the front and extract at the back, this should give slight positive pressure, the 212 will do nothing to change the pressure.
you seem confused.

You NEED a heatsink, this is not optional, it needs a fan this is also not optional.

Personally I'd move one of the front fans to the rear and leave it intake at the front and extract at the back, this should give slight positive pressure, the 212 will do nothing to change the pressure.

Solution

DanDaDog

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016

Oh, okay... Thanks. But what if my CPU heatsink has two fans, will it make a difference?

Depends on the heatsink.

Generally you'd want at least 1 intake fan and 1 exhaust fan in your case
+ 1 fan on the heatsink

2 intakes + 1 exhaust + heatsink creates positive pressure

Heatsinks with 2 fans usually perform a bit better
However the advantages for models that are available with 1 or 2 fans are rather small

TRENDING THREADS