How many fans should I run with Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S

JrBuns

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
Wondering how many fans should be arranged, I'll be having in the case if it matters:

MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DUKE OC Video Card
Noctua - NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler

Also needing recommendations of quiet fans as I'm trying to go as quiet as I can with this build. Also, would like the fans to be RGB but it's not required!

Solution
Front and bottom fans SHOULD always be intake, bringing air INTO the case. Top and rear fans SHOULD always be exhaust, taking air out of the case. That applies to pretty much EVERY modern system, but there are a few exceptions such as some specialized water cooled configurations that are using a top mounted radiator with the fans configured as intake. I don't like that design though because it leaves you with only a single rear exhaust fan. Not good design IMO.

Should look like this:

2008izm.jpg

As far as WHAT fans to buy, I like to generally stick to Noctua (And they DO have black versions of their best fan models now), Be Quiet, a few others. Do you know if you plan to use 120 or 140mm fans yet?

JrBuns

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

Here's my parts list; https://pcpartpicker.com/user/JrBuns/saved/x8mj4D
I'm in Canada by the way. The theme for the build is Silent, blue/white, cooled while playing at 4K. Well not actually thinking of playing at 4K. Budget is lets say about $2000 or possibly more? I spent $1000 on my last build so wont mind spending more for performance/preference. I don't really care for the price of fans, just don't be sending me $75-$100 a fan prices... I dislike the idea of overclocking and so will never be overclocking (maybe once to experience it).

I'm guessing that the memory you already have? Also, there is no need for that giant Noctua D15S cooler (Which really sucks for a HSF that big anyhow) as the NH-U14S cools within a few degrees of the big Noctua, Cryorig and Phanteks HSFs anyhow, so they are kind of pointless especially if you're not overclocking.

Is this build mainly for gaming?

And you ABSOLUTELY don't want that Rosewill PSU. The days of Rosewill having good power supplies is long gone. There have been no Rosewill power supplies worth spending a dime on since the last Capstone was flung from the assembly line.

JrBuns

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

Yep, this build is mainly for gaming and sometimes will use it as a workstation. I'll look into a different power supply; EVGA or Seasonic were my second choice! Also, I sometimes move my case around, is there a good quiet cooler I can look for? Plus the NH-U14S isn't compatible with my chip :). Back to the topic, where and how should I place my fans in the case? :p

Front and bottom fans SHOULD always be intake, bringing air INTO the case. Top and rear fans SHOULD always be exhaust, taking air out of the case. That applies to pretty much EVERY modern system, but there are a few exceptions such as some specialized water cooled configurations that are using a top mounted radiator with the fans configured as intake. I don't like that design though because it leaves you with only a single rear exhaust fan. Not good design IMO.

Should look like this:

2008izm.jpg

As far as WHAT fans to buy, I like to generally stick to Noctua (And they DO have black versions of their best fan models now), Be Quiet, a few others. Do you know if you plan to use 120 or 140mm fans yet?

Solution

JrBuns

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

I will most likely be replacing both fans that come with it. I was thinking I can either do:
1. 120mm in the back as exhaust, two 140mm as intake, and two 140 at the top as exhaust (Don't know if it's too loud)
OR
2. 120mm in the back as exhaust, two 140mm as intake. (Just have max of three fans so it's not as loud?)

JrBuns

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

Got it! Thank you!

And as far as fans go, if you haven't purchased them yet, I'd very much recommend sticking to Noctua, Be Quiet, Noiseblocker, Thermalright, some of the Scythe fan models (Although none of them are nearly as good as what Scythe used to put out), someo of the Cryorig (XT140 is good), some of the Phanteks are good, a few of the Silverstone fans are pretty good and if your motherboard is capable of doing 3 pin voltage control on it's 4 pin fan headers (Which some can and some cannot) OR if you have a fan controller like the NZXT Grid+, then the Aerocool DS120 and DS140 fans are pretty damn good too.

Of them all, Noctua is easily the best IMO, and they are available in black now too so you're not stuck with the ugly (To some people) brown models.

JrBuns

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

Perfect! I'll put this information im my word document! I'll look into those brands and see what I like! This helps me greatly!