How many GB hard drive will a dell inspiron 6000 laptop computer accept

G

how many GB hard drive will a dell inspiron 6000 laptop computer accept

how many GB hard drive will a dell inspiron 6000 laptop computer accept

The largest capacity they make. Physically, one laptop hard disk is the same as all the others. Check whether you have SATA or PATA disk before buying - the specificaiton at Dell's website will tell you if you key in the Service Tag there. That's printed on the case somewhere.

Remember, the bigger the disk, the more data you have to lose if you don't practice good backup routines. Also, you need to reinstall Windows on the new disk so if you don't have Dell's CD, that won't be easy. If you keep the disk and system and buy a large external, you have the data storage facility you're probably looking for without all the messing around.
[/#000ff]

The 137 GB barrier was a windows/controller issue as I recall. The 6000 shipped in 2005. I can't imagine there was a bios issue that late in the game. What makes you think it won't support 137GB?

It didn't even occur to me as a possible issue when I posted. Typical of Dell though - force the customer back to the 'phone lines when they need to upgrade and you get a chance to see them your choice of larger drives.[/#000ff]

JohnB_100

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
The 137 GB limit can be overcome by partitioning the hard drive into two logical drives and keeping Drive C (with the boot partition) below 137 GB (128 GB as reported by Windows Explorer). Here is a related post:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252202-32-older-laptop-137gb-drive#