[SOLVED] How Many Hardware Updates Does The Same Windows 10 Pro 64Bit Allow?

Sir_Tuc

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
My version of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit is one of the original win 10 released. Since then I am now on my third motherboard, second different video card and on different completely different hard drives. Have I used up all my hardware update options for Windows and do I need to buy a newer version? I am asking because now my version of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit will NOT update. I've done every one of Microsoft's recommended update troubleshooting steps and nothing is working.

Last edited:
Solution
Right.
What you're seeing has nothing to do with the license or activation status. Any fully installed Win 10 can and does get updates.
Even one that has never ever been activated.

What version of Win 10 is it? Not Home or Pro, but rather v1809, v2903, vOther...

Create a new WIN 10 install, from another working system.
Boot from that, and it should Update to the current level.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
As far as I know retail Windows 10 versions are linked to your account and there is no limit, unless you are using it only on one computer at the same time.

I have a Pro license coming from Windows 8 Pro upgrade path. As far as I know it just allows mainboard changes for two times. I am using the second one, I don't know if it will allow me for the third upgrade.

By the way only motherboard changes count. Video card changes or HDD, SDD upgrades do not count as change for activation.

USAFRet

Titan
"I am asking because now my version of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit will NOT update. "

What, specifically, do you mean with this?
Won't run the current OS updates?
Or won't activate on different hardware?

The actual OS updates have nothing to do with the activation status.
I have a near 3 year old Win 10 Pro installed, never activated, that still gets all the current Updates.
I have this installed in a VM, just to test this.

Switching to different hardware is a whole different kind of "Update".

Sir_Tuc

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
As far as I know retail Windows 10 versions are linked to your account and there is no limit, unless you are using it only on one computer at the same time.
One computer at a time? Yes
The dividing line is...is the current OS license activated?
It has been activated with every motherboard upgrade.
If it is, any update problem is not associated with all the previous hardware changes.
DVD says "windows 10 pro full version." The packaging says "Win Pro 10 64Bit 1pk DSP OEI DVD" What that means, I have no idea.
"I am asking because now my version of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit will NOT update. "

What, specifically, do you mean with this?
Won't run the current OS updates?
Or won't activate on different hardware?
I tried updating Win after full clean install starting from the settings menu. I tried updating by inserting the win dvd in after win booted. I've done every one of Microsoft's recommended "win update troubleshooting steps" their website recommended and nothing is working.

Right now I am running off a Linux bootable USB drive on the same machine that doesn't update windows. Please forgive me if I am not answering your questions fully. I don't have another pc to step through all my troubleshooting steps to give you highly detailed answers.

USAFRet

Titan
Right.
What you're seeing has nothing to do with the license or activation status. Any fully installed Win 10 can and does get updates.
Even one that has never ever been activated.

What version of Win 10 is it? Not Home or Pro, but rather v1809, v2903, vOther...

Create a new WIN 10 install, from another working system.
Boot from that, and it should Update to the current level.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Solution

Sir_Tuc

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
How do I tell? Product ID listed in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System?

I checked in Programs and Features for any updates that I may have not known about, no updates installed. The only driver I installed is for the Intel network port on my motherboard.

USAFRet

Titan
How do I tell? Product ID listed in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System?

I checked in Programs and Features for any updates that I may have not known about, no updates installed. The only driver I installed is for the Intel network port on my motherboard.
from a commandline, type winver

You should get this:
82yDSwS.png

Sir_Tuc

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
It said 12015 or something close to that.

I followed the link you mentioned, USAFRet, and thought since I tried everything else I would try to upgrade to the 1903 build first. I was trying to avoid this because I upgraded to this a couple of months ago and did not like it. What the heck, maybe Microsoft ironed out some of the things I didn't like, I'll try it again. VIOLA! 1903 build did download and install. I have been using it for a little over a day now and everything seems to be working fine.

I want to thank all that helped me. People on Tomshardware.com are the best!

btw I'm a USMCret myself.