How Many Hz Monitor Does a Casual Gamer Need?

60Hz monitor for casual gamers.

120Hz/144Hz monitors are for people with very high end video cards, for gaming.

The games you're talking about would benefit from those higher refresh rates but you need high end video card(s) to push those refresh rates. If you video card costs less than $300.00, a 60Hz monitor is all you need.

If you get G-sync/free-sync capable monitors, get the highest hz you can, as it will allow much higher framerates without tearing.

If not, I'm someone who plays games for most of the day, being League, RTS', emulators, a few FPS, and KSP.
I've only ever had the luxury of 60hz monitors, but if you can go higher for a minimal investment, that's recommended. Try and figure out your average FPS you get in games and go north of that for hz (hz is frequency, but as it stands with monitors it's essentially the same thing as FPS capabilities)

G-sync adds a bit of input lag so if you want the lowest response times you can get then a cheap 120/144 Hz TN is what you want. Personally I prefer IPS and PLS panels, I can't use anything else and enjoy what I'm doing at the same time, TN panels lack color & contrast and look washed out so in a game like Skyrim, you want great color & contrast, not a TN panel.

Another thing is response time, which to a lot of people is a big deal but pretty much a marketing gimmick because you'll be limited to what your latency online is anyways. If you need help buying a new monitor, let us know!

Alyus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
I prefer IPS over TN, so this is where the question is directed. I prefer image quality over speed so for a game like Skyrim, how many Hz should I be aiming for? I prefer the largest monitor and at the highest resolution as well.

My ideal monitor would be 34" or large monitor, 3440x1440, IPS, 21:9, G-Sync.

So you are looking to buy a new monitor? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Right, so those requirements I'm sure there is not a single monitor made yet at high refresh rates, the XB270HU is the first 144 Hz if that is what you're looking for, though it's only 27" and 16:9. How far away do you sit from the monitor? A lof of people buy high resolution monitors only to benefit from the "bigger" work space rather than how great things look at these higher resolutions, Skyrim included...

Alyus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Just like any normal PC user, a little more than an arm's length. So yeah, highest resolution is gonna matter to me. I'm looking for 34", 3440x1440, IPS, G-Sync, 21:9.

TRENDING THREADS