How many leave their Amd systems on 24/7 ???

G

*raises hand*

Now that I have tweaked NT4 to exactly how I want it, it's not getting rebooted :)

Currently on 47 hours since last restart.......

G

I have my Duron 750 oc'ed to 950 and leave it running cruching Seti units 24x7. I also use Motherboard monitor to monitor the temperature and trigger shutdown now if the temp gets too high.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't. Saving money on power bill.
I usually turn it off when I go to bed.
I turn it on in the morning and leave it on all day while I'm at work.
But I have left if on for days with no problems.

G

Always on. Last reboot was 3 days ago just to flash the abit ww bios update.

Running nt5, amd tbird 900 at 1000.

G

I have several systems that I leave on 24x7, aiming for 0% downtime (lol).

It is important to note that just leaving a computer on, running SETI@home or a screen saver isn't a great test of a system's real uptime.

Yes, that kind of number-crunching will test your cooling solution, as that provides a near-maximum heat output of the CPU. But single-tasking, non-I/O intensive applications use the features of the CPU/OS/compiler that are most reliable.

A worst-case reliability scenario involves many processes (lots of context switching), heavy interrupt activity, and lots of memory allocation/deallocation (to fragment memory).
The difference between these standards of a "stable" system was demonstrated by Dr. Pabst with the Pentium 1.13GHz, and the Linux kernel compiliation.

A house of cards is stable until you sneeze on it.

. . .

Having said that, I have an Athalon system that ran for just under 2 months of serving about 20 database-backed web pages/second (not to real people; to a webcrawler designed to give the computer a workout).
It probably would have gone longer if I'd used ECC memory.

G

I may leave it running SETI@Home when I am not using it, but I thrash the thing when I am using it.......

G

>>How did you get your title to say SetiMaster?

It was bestowed on me by Fredi, I'm leading Tom's team in processing Seti units, and I posted the first message in the Distributed computing thread.

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good try to prove a point, but obviously it failed. I leave my system on 24/7 constantly d/l or u/l things on ftp sites, I've had my athlon classic running win98se going for about two days now without a problem. I'm almost done getting a movie, about 14 hours to go, and I may reboot just out of principle and win98 paranoia, but now that you asked I probobly will leave it going.

"Are you saying that I can dodge bullets?"

G

I leave all of my systems on 24-7 , my Athlon(classic 750) W2K server has not been rebooted in 3 months and my W2K workstation (Tbird 1Ghz) has been up for 3 weeks, as has my PII 350 Workstation my P233mmx back up sever is off at the moment but that is usually 24-7 as well.
the only PC that causes problems is my PII 350 but that is not the CPU or any other hardware for that matter, it's win98 that is installed on it......

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>> can you really say..."I can walk away from my Athlon box?"

sure... I leave it on while I'm at work to crunch SETI etc... I turn it off at night for a simple reason -- I can't sleep with its 7 fans and "Whooooosh" sound in the same room as I am:)
Triple Boot WinME/Linux/Win2000... only system that crashes is WinME, and that's for obvious reasons... plus I'm one of those people that just DO things to the computers, don't ask me how:)

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have five or six Athlon Classic servers running NT 4.0 server and a couple T-Bird servers running NT 4.0 and W2k server. I leave them all running all the time at work. I have yet to have a problem with a single one of them.

What it takes is hand selecting the components and doing a proper installation. I have complete faith in the machine that I build for work.

G

I have had my Athlon 750 running for 5 months without a problem. I use it as my personal server and as sharing my cable internet connection to all my other PC's, as well as my print server. I only had a single 300W power supply with only one additional fan, and that was in the front of the PC for fresh air. I recently upgraded to a Duron 700, overclocked to 900, in an Inwin Q2000 server case with a redundent 300W power supply with the Abit KT7-Raid motherboard. I have two IBM 45Gb drives in a mirror, one Seagate Barracuda II 20Gb as the primary drive, 2 fans in the case, one in front and one in rear, Zip Drive, HP CD-Rewriter, and One Seagate Cheetah 9gb 10000rpm U2w drive for MP3's for Napster. It has been running for 7 days with one lockup due to the ATI video card I was using. I put a 3DFX 3500 AGP card in it and no problems. I also use this computer to run my Quake III Coliseum Server when I am at home with no problems. AMD is much more reliable in my mind.