[SOLVED] How many M.2 slots do I need?

Aug 1, 2021
I am writing an article for a client. Client sent me a format of article with some questions. One of the question is, how many M.2 slots do I need? How should I answer this question?

Solution
To be completely fair, you don't actually "need" an M.2 slot at all. According to the age of the hardware you have fallbacks such as PCI to M.2 adapters that are blazingly fast.
If the hardware is old enough you won't even realize the potential of anything faster than a SATA SSD.

Ultimately, the question really comes down to how much time do you have?

Ralston18

Titan
More details needed. What are your client's computing requirements and environment? What software will be in use?

What article? Post a link.

Also what you should do is proceed with working out what you believe, feel, or know is an appropriate response to your client.

Post accordingly and request comments and suggestions.

Reactions: awai$s ali
Aug 1, 2021
More details needed. What are your client's computing requirements and environment? What software will be in use?

What article? Post a link.

Also what you should do is proceed with working out what you believe, feel, or know is an appropriate response to your client.

Post accordingly and request comments and suggestions.
Thanks! I'll ask him. I believe this question is incomplete

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
To be completely fair, you don't actually "need" an M.2 slot at all. According to the age of the hardware you have fallbacks such as PCI to M.2 adapters that are blazingly fast.
If the hardware is old enough you won't even realize the potential of anything faster than a SATA SSD.

Ultimately, the question really comes down to how much time do you have?

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
I am writing an article for a client. Client sent me a format of article with some questions. One of the question is, how many M.2 slots do I need? How should I answer this question?
"NEED" -- None. There is nothing in what you have provided to say that ANY M.2 slot is needed.
Are there benefits, even of SATA M.2 slots? Yes. Are there benefits of NVMe slots over SATA? Limited. Is any of this relevant? Unknown.