Question How many mating cycles is a DisplayPort rated for?

Dantido

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
I'll confess my sins, I've been kind of stupid during my time building PCs.
See, I started out and grew up using displays with VGA, an analog signal, which was susceptible to the lightest of movement. The image changed in sharpness and color all the time, and because of this, I ended up developing some habits to keep my display image the best I could. These include being super careful to not touch the VGA cable at all, and unplugging and plugging the cable if I were to move it by accident.
Well, fast forward some years and I still have those habits even with DisplayPort, which is probably the most reliable digital signal that exists. I've tried my best to psyche myself up about it, but I can't help it.
There were days where I ended up unplugging and plugging my DisplayPort from my graphics card and monitor 5 or 6 times. Maybe even more. Fortunately, nowadays I've lowered that number to 1 or 2 times per day.
My question with this is to see if my illogical actions have managed to damage anything, or if they could damage something in the nearby future. The image of my display is excellent, but I'm fully aware that connectors don't last forever.
How many mating cycles are DisplayPorts rated for, as a minimum?

(PD : After reading the post again, I realized that this might sound like a joke. Oh dear, please don't take it out of context.)

Dantido

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
This came after a Google search in 30 seconds;
https://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/987651-9295.pdf
the stipulation to that number needs to correspond to the force applied. If you're going to ram the connector in like a freight train, that cycle is either reduced or obliterated. IMHO, regardless of what the cycle number is, you should treat connectors with care.
Yeah, I saw that too. I thought those 10000 mating cycles were just the rating of that specific brand of DP cables, and not the standard.
Either way, I always treat my connectors with care.

Not sure why you would have needed to adjust the VGA cables, they have screw in connectors that keep them as tight as any modern connections. There is 0 need to touch anything, you are just asking for something to break or short. Computer is setup and sitting there, only time it should be moved or anything unplugged is when you take it apart to check/upgrade something, clean it, or move it to another room. There is no way to tell what will happen in the future, but I can tell you that messing with the connections several times a week/day instead of not touching it at all will increase the chances of something breaking immensely.

Dantido

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
Not sure why you would have needed to adjust the VGA cables, they have screw in connectors that keep them as tight as any modern connections. There is 0 need to touch anything, you are just asking for something to break or short. Computer is setup and sitting there, only time it should be moved or anything unplugged is when you take it apart to check/upgrade something, clean it, or move it to another room. There is no way to tell what will happen in the future, but I can tell you that messing with the connections several times a week/day instead of not touching it at all will increase the chances of something breaking immensely.
Yeah, I definitely need to remove that mentality of mine. Fortunately I've stopped doing all that for a while now.