Discussion How many of you do "Window-Shopping" ?

Hi all,

As the title says, how many of you guys/gals actually do Window-shopping, be it for any household item/gadget ? I do Window Shopping most of the time, but it's not my hobby per se.

Just in case someone doesn't know this, Window-shopping is looking at things in shop windows without intending to BUY anything. There are actually pros and cons of this Shopping activity.

Sometimes it's good to just browse any shop/store, rather than buy any item. This gives us some hint on the current market trend, and how the prices are stacking up.

Also, the slight disadvantage is mostly the unrest you get suppose you really like any item/gadget, but are not interested in buying that gadget, either due to the high price of that item, or you are undecided whether to purchase that particular gadget or not.

But at least when I do Window shopping, I get the whole idea of the marketplace. It's actually fun when you do Window shopping sometimes, especially for expensive gadgets. What about you ?

Regards, NICK.

Edit:

Some random images taken from the internet, lol:

handsome-man-looking-for-new-clothes-shopping-time.jpg

1*brcouTzx8FW4M6WLh7d2tw.png

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, the "save for later" in both Amazon and Newegg have goodies I have been checking on and watching for price drops. I enjoy having the internet available as a shopping tool. Just about the only item I still go out to buy any more is clothing and shoes aside from fresh foods.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, the "save for later" in both Amazon and Newegg have goodies I have been checking on and watching for price drops. I enjoy having the internet available as a shopping tool. Just about the only item I still go out to buy any more is clothing and shoes aside from fresh foods.
As I tell my wife:
"Things on my public Amazon wish list are NOT things I wish to buy. Rather...place holders for categories of things I am still researching."

Ralston18

Titan
I window shop.

Very unlikely that I will buy anything without being able to physically handle it or at least look inside the packaging.

And if not able to see or handle then I verify that I can make a return if the product is not as expected or, more likely, as "advertised".

I likewise use "place marks" and "shopping carts" to hold items being researched.

I was mostly referring to the Window shopping done when you physically visit any store, shopping mall, and/or any showroom. But yes, even online internet/screen shopping is fine, but I never wishlisted any item, or saved it on my shopping cart.

But the "notify me when there is a price drop" option is pretty much useful.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i still enjoy window shopping here and there. i can still be found every couple months walking around the local mall with a coffee just checking things out.

problem is, there is little i actually need so other than the occasional piece of clothing i find that i like, there is nothing of interest i see. mostly it is to get out of the house for a while, maybe enjoy a cinnabun i'd never buy any other way, and just enjoy walking around a bit.

we got some outdoor shopping that is nice on a pretty day but this time of year it's too cold to spend hours just walking around the area.

overall though anywhere there is enough stores to make it worth the window shopping, it is usually 90% womens clothes and the rest is "artisan" craft type stuff i also don't really care about.

we used to have a large flee market that was worth the trip. but that's long gone now, i guess replaced by the big flea market in the cloud.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Alright, interesting. Yes, I do window shopping quite regularly, but not for the reasons you think. Usually I just look around just to "stretch my legs" or chat with the store guys, kind of shoot the shot type of thing. It's good to just talk with people, you know.

I mean, I don't really have plenty of items on my shopping list that really warrant me window shopping. Maybe some new clothes or check out the new TV models. My dad also loved checking out dirtbike showrooms so I often follow him window shopping on the weekend so that's that. I'm just doing it for the social aspect mostly.

I consider myself to have good restraint when it comes to spending money, I almost never impulse buy, so window shopping isn't really "harmful" for me, unlike certain someone I know. Okay, I admit I bought the most expensive part in my PC partly due to window shopping and my abject lapse of my common sense that day, but hey what's done is done.

Call me old-school that's stuck in the past, but there's this feeling of actually talking with someone before buying the product. And, as long as I yearn for that, window shopping will always be on my weekend to-do list.