mpjesse

Splendid
I would like to know how many people in here actually own a P4. I'm willing to bet that very few do. And don't lie please. I know I wouldn't pay the outrageous price for one.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All my systems (including the ones I sell) have Pentiums, PII's PIII's, and K6-2's. I don't sell P4's because the current version is crap. I don't sell Athlons because of support issues (but I might start soon, with ALi chipset mobos).

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I do.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

mpjesse

Splendid
Here's mine

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=8747" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=8747</A>

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

macodi

Distinguished
May 24, 2001
P4 1.4ghz = $166
Tbird 1.13ghz = $95

An extra $71 for an easy and reliable build, or spend about 10 hrs flashing your brains out while crossing your fingers waiting for a helpful post here. I'm worth more than $7/hr.

No, I don't have one.
--------------------------------------------------
I'll never put on a lifejacket again.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i havent sold any P4s yet, but looking forward to sell some.
i largely sell AMD based systems, then P3s and no cyrix ones.

i dont like intel's stock-clearance sale of P4s. i recommend people to wait for northwood and brookedale if they insist on P4.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's a combination of things. I can't promise them that a P4 1.4GHz is twice as fast as their P3 700MHz. I can't offer them an upgrade path. The price is too high for profitability.
Most of my customers insist on Intel procssors. The blue men do their job. The rest go by price/speed ratio alone. They get K6-2's at a low price.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

mpjesse

Splendid
OK, is it worth $200 more for an extra 100mhz (1.7Ghz to 1.8Ghz)? That's outrageously priced. As for the "spend about 10 hrs flashing your brains out while crossing your fingers waiting for a helpful post here". I've built dozens of Athlon/Duron machines and NEVER ONCE had a problem. The problem is most these people don't know what they're doing.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

macodi

Distinguished
May 24, 2001
I retract my statement. You are correct. I've flashed 1 bios in 3 years come to think of it. I think I've read so many horror stories here that I'm starting to believe it's hard to build a AMD system.

-------------------------------------------------
I hate this hacker crap!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Ok, that's scary. I say everyone goes out (including non-americans) and celebrates the 4th of July. Lets drink and blow stuff up...

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Oh, I see how it is. The rest of the world doesn't want to blow stuff up and drink eh? I think not....

disclaimer: Do not take me seriously

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
The blue men do their job.

No Intel CPU/chipset made the reputation for quite sometime.For the 1.13 i have never see one or see one to sale.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
bwawawwaawwaawwawwaawwa!!!!
pffft own a P4!!!
ROFL
if all I needed to do was play quake3, edit video, and rip DVDs I'd own a Pentium 4. For anything else its just ludicrous to spend that kind of money any more. Intel wants to go back to the days when they could overcharge for their products. I remember paying over $300 for a pentium3 450. AMD just won't let this happen, notice 1.2 GHz Tbird C is under $100 on pricewatch.com.
they day Pentium 4 is roughly the same price as AMD chips I'll probably buy a pentium 4 becuase I do on occasion edit video and play quake 3, but right now its most certainly not worth the money.
Now I see these somehow inexpensive Pentium 4 systems from Dell, and Gateway I say be cautious buying one of these, I'm almost willing to bet money they have very cheap system components inside (low quality sound, video, and modem/network cards) And I'm also betting they are generic

G

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't you be informing your unimformed customer and not selling them P4's ignorance tells then they need because there Intel?

I AM Canadian.

G

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't you be informing your uninformed customers and not selling them the Pentium 4's they think they need simply because they are from Intel?

(Better?)

I AM Canadian.

G

e.g. Isn't your job to help your customer get the computer that fits there needs and not just building and selling PC's?

I AM Canadian.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I do inform my customers. That's why I tell them the truth when they ask "Why no P4?". "Well, AMD has a counter-P4 product which is just as good, if not better, called the AMD Thunderbird." (That's just a simple explaination, I use something along those lines for the more computer-illiterate.)

---------
Grass is a beautiful weed

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thunderbird still lacks SSE2, no clue why you lie to your customers. maybe they might enjoy better SSE2 instructions. Not everyone is cheap like you.

P4 outragous in price? wtf is wrong with you. you can build very nice P4 systems for under a grand. stupid lemmings like you trying to make people think that P4 is thousands of dollars more expensive. when its more like 20~50 bucks more. yet your getting better product, higher compatability and stability when you buy Intel product, without the aggravation, overheating, cracked cores, incompatabilities, autoreboots, shims that dont fit, PSU that actually work and does not need to be replaced as a guess to why your machine autoreboots, and other misc crap.

For those about to chime in like the lemmings they are: FUCKOFF im not gonna reply to "compatability list" so deal with it. too many to list and im not gonna jump thru hoops for your lame ass.