How many of your consoles have died over the years?

Kallakix2015

Honorable
May 18, 2015
I was looking to buy a PS3 from somewhere to play some exclusives and I while looking I realized that every single PlayStation I've ever owned has died. I think the PS1 died, I had 2 PS2's that died and 2 PS3's that died.

I remember they'd release that first style of each generation and it would be way larger and overheat more. If this isn't a common thing I'm really confused why it might have happened because I'd always make sure they had plenty of breathing room and regularly cleaned them of dust. They'd all one day just not turn on or they'd turn on and the screen would be all distorted.

Now wondering if it's worth putting down £100 to get on since all the previous ones have had a lifetime of about 3 years.

Solution
to my knowledge, all my consoles still work, though i only own 3. atari 2600, snes (famicom the jap version), ps 2

although you tend to treat your console with care and respect (i hope) its more about lengthy run times. many short bursts of on time vs prolonged 3+ hrs gaming sessions. imagine every wire that connects your bits inside are like lightbulb wire ... the longer its on, the more it degrades. though this takes many many hours, it happens. and any weakpoints in a connection are the first to go.
you could say, if the general trend is the visuals, then the general trend for weakpoints is something within the graphics or connection points.

plus, if your console lasted forever (like the atari 2600) then you wouldnt 'need' to...

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
to my knowledge, all my consoles still work, though i only own 3. atari 2600, snes (famicom the jap version), ps 2

although you tend to treat your console with care and respect (i hope) its more about lengthy run times. many short bursts of on time vs prolonged 3+ hrs gaming sessions. imagine every wire that connects your bits inside are like lightbulb wire ... the longer its on, the more it degrades. though this takes many many hours, it happens. and any weakpoints in a connection are the first to go.
you could say, if the general trend is the visuals, then the general trend for weakpoints is something within the graphics or connection points.

plus, if your console lasted forever (like the atari 2600) then you wouldnt 'need' to upgrade/buy a new one. im not saying they deliberately manufacture parts to fail, but they sure dont make them to last forever.

Solution