[SOLVED] how many pcie lanes do i have access to

Dec 28, 2018
Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Asus - ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card
Samsung 970 PRO 512GB - NVMe PCIe M.2

my mobo has 2 m.2 slots

i started off this build wanting no sata drives , i figured i had two slots and if i wanted more space i could put a third in a pcie card slot with an adapter

well i started asking questions and this is what i have so far ...

i was told my cpu provides 16 lanes and the chipset provides 4 lanes

i know the 970 pro needs x4 and the graphics card needs x16

if i add another NVMe PCIe M.2 into the 2nd slot on the mobo will i throttle my cards performance ?

i dont wanna buy a 2nd m.2 if it means sacrificing graphics performance

also i was wondering about an m.2 internal ssd and if they had the same effect even though they are not pcie?

ive only had advice from one other person who told me with my 2080 and 970 pro i should stick to sata ssd drives

any advice is appreciated

Solution
The chipset has 24 lanes. You have more than enough. Also the pcie x16 slots are the only slots wired to the cpu. No other slots can use the pcie lanes from the cpu. The last pcie x16 slot is only a x4, but is x2 by default and has a switch to use x4 from the cpu when in x8/x4/x4 mode with 3 gpus or use the mobo lanes sharing bandwidth with SATA6G_5 and SATA6G_6 when using only 1 or 2 gpus. The m.2 slots do no share lanes with anything.

All m.2 are internal. They are either in sata or pcie mode. If you mean sata, then that uses sata but sata can also use pcie if the mobo is wired to use pcie lanes for sata which yours is. It would've been easier if I could find a block diagram for that mobo but I can't. This lists the ports and what...
The chipset has 24 lanes. You have more than enough. Also the pcie x16 slots are the only slots wired to the cpu. No other slots can use the pcie lanes from the cpu. The last pcie x16 slot is only a x4, but is x2 by default and has a switch to use x4 from the cpu when in x8/x4/x4 mode with 3 gpus or use the mobo lanes sharing bandwidth with SATA6G_5 and SATA6G_6 when using only 1 or 2 gpus. The m.2 slots do no share lanes with anything.

All m.2 are internal. They are either in sata or pcie mode. If you mean sata, then that uses sata but sata can also use pcie if the mobo is wired to use pcie lanes for sata which yours is. It would've been easier if I could find a block diagram for that mobo but I can't. This lists the ports and what it shares with. You will see that one m.2 slot shares with sata port 2. But they do not share pcie lanes with anything. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-rog-maximus-xi-hero-wi-fi-i9-9900k-motherboard,5918.html

Solution