Question how many percent is possible for a brand new motherboard to be faulty?

Anti illuminati

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2015
hello guys i have bought a msi z590 mothboard from amazon. my question is does any one have experience with faulty brand new motherboard? how many percent is possible to come faulty since the board pack has no seal or no protector around the box.

Y'all know that Taobao is like the eBay of China, right? It may be owned by Alibaba (the Amazon of China) but is primarily consumer-to-consumer listings, unlike Alibaba or Amazon which are business-to-consumer. In this case though the seller is a small retail computer shop.

To answer your question, the manufacturers aren't going to report RMA numbers but one large retailer (like the Newegg of France) did until 5 years ago. Essentially the RMA rates for motherboards were about 2% and half of those were returned with no detectable problem, so user error. The numbers varied of course and surprisingly the chipset had a larger effect than the board manufacturer.

Reactions: mkaafy

Anti illuminati

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2015
Y'all know that Taobao is like the eBay of China, right? It may be owned by Alibaba (the Amazon of China) but is primarily consumer-to-consumer listings, unlike Alibaba or Amazon which are business-to-consumer. In this case though the seller is a small retail computer shop.

To answer your question, the manufacturers aren't going to report RMA numbers but one large retailer (like the Newegg of France) did until 5 years ago. Essentially the RMA rates for motherboards were about 2% and half of those were returned with no detectable problem, so user error. The numbers varied of course and surprisingly the chipset had a larger effect than the board manufacturer.
so you mean not problem will be with my mb?

No, it means ~1% if you bought from a large reputable retailer like Amazon itself, as you stated in the OP. As you instead bought from a small shop listing goods on Taobao, it means either 1% if they didn't open it themselves, or could be much worse if they're offloading their problem stock to people like you instead of bothering to RMA them to the manufacturer themselves

I don't know how good your Chinese is but I translated the ad as saying it is factory sealed and they don't take returns if the seal is broken. If you install it and it doesn't work, you can exchange it for a refurbished board from MSI.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
hello guys i have bought a msi z590 mothboard from amazon. my question is does any one have experience with faulty brand new motherboard? how many percent is possible to come faulty since the board pack has no seal or no protector around the box.
I never seen a new modern board that had no seal! No seal = not a new factory sealed board so either sent in as defective or for a RMA and was resold instead of being repaired or a open box that was never tested.

EDIT For the RMA rate the last data I seen was from 2018 with all brands listed having a pool of at least 200 boards and it ranged from like 1.5 to 3% since it was a RMA rate some numbers are skewed since you can figure in operator error (counts as a RMA but denied) and the fast track replacement on high end Asus boards that don't count in their RMA numbers

Last edited:

Anti illuminati

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2015
I never seen a new modern board that had no seal! No seal = not a new factory sealed board so either sent in as defective or for a RMA and was resold instead of being repaired or a open box that was never tested.

EDIT For the RMA rate the last data I seen was from 2018 with all brands listed having a pool of at least 200 boards and it ranged from like 1.5 to 3% since it was a RMA rate some numbers are skewed since you can figure in operator error (counts as a RMA but denied) and the fast track replacement on high end Asus boards that don't count in their RMA numbers
no the box is not sealed . but the electric bag around the board itself is sealed according to the image they send for me from motherboard
photo-2021-05-10-17-43-27.jpg