[SOLVED] How many PSU rails to GPU?

Oct 24, 2019
Hey guys,

I’m new to building computers so excuse me if this sounds a little too silly.

I’ve recently acquired a PSU replacement and had gone ahead and unhooked the old one and plugged in the new cables+New psu. My question is this, how many PCI-E tails of cables are supposed to be plugged into the GPU? My gpu is 8pin and a 6pin. Right now I’ve got one cable rail with both pins plugs coming out of the same cable and into the GPU. Things seem to be working fine but is this how it’s supposed to be done?

Thanks and my apologies again!

Solution
My thoughts on this are that if the cable came with the PSU....I think most likely you are fine because the manufacturer (hopefully a reputable one) of the PSU wouldn't supply cable that was too small for the current the PSU could supply. I also think that the manufacturer wouldn't supply a 6 pin/8pin cable that couldn't handle the current of all modern GPUs.
My thoughts on this are that if the cable came with the PSU....I think most likely you are fine because the manufacturer (hopefully a reputable one) of the PSU wouldn't supply cable that was too small for the current the PSU could supply. I also think that the manufacturer wouldn't supply a 6 pin/8pin cable that couldn't handle the current of all modern GPUs.

Solution