[SOLVED] How many RGB fans to one M/B RGB header

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Hi,

I have a Aerocool Project 7 3x P7 F12 Fans and P7H1 Hub Kit.

Can I daisy chain the 3 fans together then connect it to my motherboards RGB header? Is three RGB case fans to many for one header?

Sorry I am clueless when it comes to volts, wattage etc. and I don’t want to damage anything. Been trying to work out the answer myself but I am getting nowhere very slowly. Close to giving up on RGB.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte B450 AORUS M
Corsair 8GB (2x 4GB) 3000Mhz DDR4 Vengeance
ASUS - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Cerberus
1TB 860 evo SSD
650W Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold

Corsair Carbide Series 88R

Thank you

Solution
Unfortunately, wrong on all three points.

1. The Aerocool website shows specs for power consumption of ONLY the MOTORS for these fans. There is NO info on the power consumed by the RGB lighting components. All we can do regarding RGB lighting loads on the mobo header is go by the rough guide that you CAN use three of MOST such devices on a single mobo RGB header. More than that, OR trying to connect larger lighting devices like very long strips can be a problem, but not usually for these fans. Unless you can get the current consumption for the RGB lights ONLY from Aerocool Tech Support, we can only use this rough general rule.

2. The lights ion the fans here are of the plain RGB type, NOT the ADDR RGB type. It is the ADDR RGB type of...
The information is available from the bottom of page 13 to the top of page 15 in the manual.
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b450-aorus-m_1001_e.pdf

The RGB headers can supply 2 amps at either 12V or 5V. YOU HAVE TO SET THIS VOLTAGE WITH A JUMPER.

So make sure you have the jumper set to the correct voltage for whatever RGB lights you are using.

As far as the 2 amps....that means that you can't go over that.....so make sure whatever you hooke to it draws less than two amps.....and if you use a splitter.....you ADD both things together and the total can't go over 2 amps.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Unfortunately, wrong on all three points.

1. The Aerocool website shows specs for power consumption of ONLY the MOTORS for these fans. There is NO info on the power consumed by the RGB lighting components. All we can do regarding RGB lighting loads on the mobo header is go by the rough guide that you CAN use three of MOST such devices on a single mobo RGB header. More than that, OR trying to connect larger lighting devices like very long strips can be a problem, but not usually for these fans. Unless you can get the current consumption for the RGB lights ONLY from Aerocool Tech Support, we can only use this rough general rule.

2. The lights ion the fans here are of the plain RGB type, NOT the ADDR RGB type. It is the ADDR RGB type of lighting devices that must connect to the two mobo D_LEDn headers (these use digital control signals on a control line). For the plain RGB type of lighting in those fans you must connect to the only LED_C or RGBW header - item 6 on the mobo diagram on manual p. 12 and 14. This header has FIVE pins because it CAN be used with a less-common RGBW system that uses the fifth pin for the WHITE LEDs in such a system. For your fan lights with a FOUR-pin female connector, just plug into this header anyway, making SURE that the +12 VDC mark on the connector matches the +12 VDC mark on the header. Then the fifth pin just will not be used, and the system WILL work.

3. It is ONLY those D_LEDn headers that can be adjusted for use with 5 VDC or 12 VDC ADDR RGB light systems. This does NOT apply to the RGBW header you need to use.

Solution
Hi,

I have a Aerocool Project 7 3x P7 F12 Fans and P7H1 Hub Kit.

Can I daisy chain the 3 fans together then connect it to my motherboards RGB header? Is three RGB case fans to many for one header?

Sorry I am clueless when it comes to volts, wattage etc. and I don’t want to damage anything. Been trying to work out the answer myself but I am getting nowhere very slowly. Close to giving up on RGB.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte B450 AORUS M
Corsair 8GB (2x 4GB) 3000Mhz DDR4 Vengeance
ASUS - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Cerberus
1TB 860 evo SSD
650W Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold

Corsair Carbide Series 88R

Thank you

RGB fans rarely exceed 60ma per RGB LED. If there isn't a Fan LED current rating on the back, take the number of LEDs and multiply it by .060. Keep the total ideally under 1.6 amps for most MB. That's roughly 26 LEDs total (Not 26 fans). I say 1.6 amps, because 80% of 2 amps is 1.6amps. I like to run conservatively to prolong life of components.

TRENDING THREADS