Question How many ssds and/or HDs can my mobo support?

NicolasIragorri1

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
My mobo is MSI Z170A SLI LGA 1151 Intel Z170 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard, and I was wondering if I can have more than two ssds and/or HDs at the same time.

NicolasIragorri1

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Thank you so much Richie! Do you mind if I ask a follow-up question? I currently have an HD and an SSD installed. I want to add a third SSD - however, I need to order an extra SATA cable. Will any work?

Furthermore, I have a 4x SATA power splitter adapter cable connected from my PSU. 3 of these slots are already in use: 1 for SSD, 1 for HD, and 1 for a LED controller. I have an extra slot, but everything is crammed inside the case, and the 4x SATA cable is not too flexible. Any ideas as to how to connect it? Is there a SATA power cable extension I could use?

The SSD I purchased is Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA 2.5" Internal SSD

Thanks once again for your help!
Nicolas

Yes any SATA cable should work just be sure it is a SATA III cable. And to you second part yes a SATA Power extension cable should be perfectly fine to use. Remember you can also just use some double sided tape and mount your SSD anywhere in the case if you want to save yourself from buying an extension, you really don't need to use the drive bays with SSDs. Just don't stick the SSD to the motherboard itself, PSU or any other electronic component (although Ive seen people stack SSDs with double sided tape I personally wouldnt.)