[SOLVED] How many things should be in one outlet?

tlavanway3

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
Hello, i know this is not the right section for this kind of thing but i could not find anything about it on toms hardware. So i have a 650watt Gaming PC, a 2,7 cubic feet mini fridge and a 55 inch 4k TV and they are all plugged into the same outlet, and i was wondering if this is a fire hazard or not? i just have a bad feeling about having this many things plugged into one outlet. everything is plugged into a surge protector, i have Two surge protectors, One for my computer and speakers, and one for my TV and mini Fridge and they are both plugged into the same outlet.

Solution
That might become a problem actually. I was at my friends place once and we found that the reason his PS4 was lagging so badly is he had it and his DLP TV and his home theater receiver all plugged into the same outlet. Once we put the TV on it's own outlet, problem solved.

The rule of thumb here is avoid putting any 3 prong (grounded) power cords on an extension cord that's only the two prong type. A good way to go if you can reach another outlet by it is just use a surge protector with a decent cord length. You can get a decent 12 footer for under $25.

Like this one...
That might become a problem actually. I was at my friends place once and we found that the reason his PS4 was lagging so badly is he had it and his DLP TV and his home theater receiver all plugged into the same outlet. Once we put the TV on it's own outlet, problem solved.

The rule of thumb here is avoid putting any 3 prong (grounded) power cords on an extension cord that's only the two prong type. A good way to go if you can reach another outlet by it is just use a surge protector with a decent cord length. You can get a decent 12 footer for under $25.

Like this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-8-Outlet-Power-Strip-Protector/dp/B000HPZ954/ref=sr_1_5?crid=MEEUI3TM1NZG&dchild=1&keywords=12'+surge+protector&qid=1600496290&s=electronics&sprefix=12'+surge+,electronics,207&sr=1-5

Last edited:
Solution